RAM suction cup mount for full size iPad

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Is anyone using a RAM Suction cup mount for your full size iPad?

I am considering getting such a mount to use in my club C182. Mount it where the windscreen meets the door pillar. And try to find a position that doesn't block the airspeed indicator or too much view out that window.

Any recommendations or pireps? How well does it stay put during mild to moderate turbulence? Does it transmit vibration making the text difficult to read? How about ease of access to the power port (mine is the Lightening plug)?

Don't know about the full size ipad but I have the RAM suction cup mount with cup holder that I use on my windshield with a 20oz metal water bottle and it has been rock solid in my 182...Also have the IPhone suction cup mount and Ipad mini yolk mount and have been very impressed.

The arms lock in really dang solid so vibration and reading text shouldn't be a problem unless your bird is shaking like a quarter machine bed at an hourly motel!

For the IPad mounts...they have both a "spring clamp" and X grip clamp. I went with the spring clamp but you have to have a thin case that the mount will close around. I like it much better than the X grip which is pretty bulky in my opinion. Both leave access to all of the ports and controls on the side.

Last edited:
Window mounting is the way to go. The RAM suction cup should work fine with an iPad. I have successfully used them many times and have two or three of them. These have been the metallic ones, but they also have a good plastic one, RAP-B-224.

Lately I have been trying other suction mounts, though, and this one is the best so far: http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-Fat-Ge...254228&sr=8-1&keywords=Delkin+Fat+Gecko+Mount To use it you will have to buy a ball with a 1/4"-20 female thread (RAM-B-218) from RAM.

BTW, RAM has an "A" series line with 9/16" rather than 1" balls. It is a lot less bulky and will easily handle tablets, but it is very limited. I use it, but I find myself making a lot of pieces in my shop where I need something RAM doesn't offer. So if they have what you need or you like to tinker and have the tools, this might be worth a look. (http://www.rammount.com/EmptyPages/COMPONENTS/ACOMPONENTS/tabid/1555/Default.aspx)

Avoid using long (RAM-B-201) arms, though, because any suction mount ultimately connects you via rubber and there is inevitably some amount of bouncing. The longer the arm, the more apparent the bouncing.

Is anyone using a RAM Suction cup mount for your full size iPad?

I am considering getting such a mount to use in my club C182. Mount it where the windscreen meets the door pillar. And try to find a position that doesn't block the airspeed indicator or too much view out that window.

Any recommendations or pireps? How well does it stay put during mild to moderate turbulence? Does it transmit vibration making the text difficult to read? How about ease of access to the power port (mine is the Lightening plug)?

I bought one about two weeks ago for use in my Cherokee. The entire assembly itself has some weight to it, in addition to the weight of the iPad. It did not work very well mounted on the windscreen near the door pillar, because that part of the windscreen is curved, so there isn't as much surface contact for the suction seal. I moved it to the middle of the windscreen, which didn't have the curve, and the suction sealed better.

However, there were some issues:

1 -- The centered location on the windscreen meant that the iPad partially blocked the avionics stack. The stack was still accessible, but accessing the top of the stack required some moving and ducking. I'm not sure that such a situation would be desirable under IFR, especially in IMC.

2 -- When examined from the outside, the suction cup still wasn't making enough contact with the windshield to give me a comfort level with leaving the iPad mounted there for an extended period of time. I did do an hour flight with it and experiened no issues (other than the aforementioned radio obscuration), but the flight was in the evening when things weren't baking in the sun. I also thought that the window location might make the iPad more susceptible to sudden shutdowns due to overheating, though I'm not sure if that's true or not.

3 -- The arm that comes with the mount doesn't provide full articulation, so you are somewhat limited to how the iPad may be positioned relative to the suction cup. I worked with it for a while until I was able to position it satisfactorily.

In the end, I decided to send the mount back. I probably would have kept it if I had more confidence that the suction cup wouldn't come loose, but it's an expensive gamble if it does, at least in the location where I had it mounted.

I believe that G-Force may offer a mount that uses multiple suction cups, so you might want to consider that one as well.

JKG

I believe that G-Force may offer a mount that uses multiple suction cups, so you might want to consider that one as well.

JKG

I use the G-Force mount for a 696 and like it a lot.

I use the G-Force mount for a 696 and like it a lot.

The way that I remember you mounting your 696 is what I want to do with the iPad.

I'll check out the g-force. I've had single suction cup mounts come loose in while driving over a pothole and it's damn annoying. This is something I'd like to avoid while flying.

The 696 mount cups have come loose once over the years (can't remember how many) but I bought the GPS when they were first introduced. Having used it and played with mounting options over the years I'd be a bit hesitant to try a full-size iPad in that location. But maybe it would work on the other side if you don't mind reaching across to futz with it.

The way that I remember you mounting your 696 is what I want to do with the iPad.

I'll check out the g-force. I've had single suction cup mounts come loose in while driving over a pothole and it's damn annoying. This is something I'd like to avoid while flying.

I use the RAM suction mount all the time with my iPad. Has worked fine in half a dozen or more different airplanes. I use the Tab-Tite cradle since I like to keep a case on my iPad.

Suction cup mount works fine. Yoke mount works fine. Kneeboard hits yoke. For me anyway.

I'm going to suggest that you forget that idea, and instead get an iPad mini on a kneeboard. It doesn't block any of your view, and it's easier to operate.
I have tried having the ipad in my lap. But, like Nate, the knee board option will interfere with the yoke because of where I like my seat position.

I am also desiring a solution that puts the iPad within my "eyes outside" field of view.

Had one but now just leave the iPad on the seat. I do use it in the car mounted on the dash.

Cheers

I am also desiring a solution that puts the iPad within my "eyes outside" field of view.

Not sure that's obtainable or even desirable from the pilot chair of a 182, given the geometry of panel, glareshield and windscreen. iPad screen is simply too big and usage need shouldn't be that intense.

I've used a RAM suction mount for a full-sized iPad in an airplane with good results.

However, in the 182 I would suggest the yoke mount. I wholeheartedly agree with Wayne that taking a full-size iPad's worth of space out of your outside view is difficult and undesirable.

You don't want to block any more of that view than you absolutely have to - The best place to mount an iPad is where it only blocks a view of things inside the plane that you don't need to see.

For me, in the DA40 that meant a suction mount, which was set up so that the only thing I couldn't see behind the iPad was a vent. In the 182, that meant a yoke mount - In flight it didn't block my view of anything important. In the Mooney, that means a yoke-mounted iPad Mini.

Side note: I've been waiting for a retina display iPad mini. That will be the perfect yoke mount option in the 182.

... taking a full-size iPad's worth of space out of your outside view is difficult and undesirable.
True enough as stated, but it is not necessary to do this. I window mount a Nexus 7 and place it so it is in front of the windshield pillar and several inches below my eye level. It blocks very little and what it does block would be traffic that is well below me.

I think window mounting of a 10" tablet would be more difficult because of potential yoke or pilot interference as the larger tablet is tilted out for readability but I don't see any reason that it would need to substantially block the pilot's outside view. YMMV, of course.

Yoke Mount would a good place. My challenge with doing that in 55WB is that a 496 already lives there.

Suction cup mount works fine. Yoke mount works fine. Kneeboard hits yoke. For me anyway.

Does your 182 have the elevator seats? I have no trouble in my 150, but thinking about it, I may be just automatically moving my leg out of the way of the controls and carrying the kneeboard with it.

Hmmmm . . .now I'm going to have to go check on this. Back in a few minutes.

Nope, there is no interference from the yoke in the 150, and I'm not moving my leg out of the way. I use one of those nylon tri-fold kneeboards, with the mini just clipped to the clipboard. it sticks up maybe an inch above my leg.

What I didn't like about other mounts was that they shift around when trying to work the touchscreen. What I don't like about the kneeboard is that if the sun is at the wrong angle, it shines right off of the screen.

I wish I could find an app that would play my music videos in the background while my flying stuff is on top.

Not sure that's obtainable or even desirable from the pilot chair of a 182, given the geometry of panel, glareshield and windscreen. iPad screen is simply too big and usage need shouldn't be that intense.

However, an iPad mini is about the size of the radio stack, so a swing-away mount which obscured the commo stuff should be workable.

Are you a psychic on the side? I've been thinking about exactly such a device but haven't seen one. Either flip up or flip to the side whichever works best for the panel config.

However, an iPad mini is about the size of the radio stack, so a swing-away mount which obscured the commo stuff should be workable.

I created this thing for an iPad Mini and it works ok in a DA40. Not much of anything works ok for me in a C172 so I'll likely try a yoke mount if I go back into a 172.

I could never see using a full size iPad in a GA cockpit (unless it has its own mounting space in the console).

p1341498564-4.jpg

p1341498118-3.jpg

p1341498808-3.jpg

that's just a piece of leather remnant that flops over the ipad.

_

Mike

I have the full size iPad with the RAM mount (suction cup). In the cherokee, if I put it on the yoke, blocks almost the entire panel on the pilot side. If I put it on the pilot-side window (which is flat), it definitely blocks the entire panel. Like you, don't like it as a knee board. I tried it on the pax side yoke, still don't like it. Used the suction cup on the pax side window, works great. Just means no pax can sit there.

I've got two Garmins (Pilot and 196). I keep the Pilot in the left corner of the glare shield. Doesn't block much in the way of visibility. The 196 blocks more than I like on the glare shield, too big for the yoke, so I never use it. If I need something the Pilot doesn't provide (AGL clearance, for example) I have the iPad handy.

One of these days I may go for the mini but I'm in no hurry.

Does your 182 have the elevator seats? I have no trouble in my 150, but thinking about it, I may be just automatically moving my leg out of the way of the controls and carrying the kneeboard with it.

Hmmmm . . .now I'm going to have to go check on this. Back in a few minutes.

It does and I like it all the way up with the high panel unless I am hunkering down for a bumpy flight and don't want to have head contact with the headliner. :)

Mike,

I own the RAM suction cup mount and a full size iPad. I've tried every location I could think of in the 182, and just never could find a mounting spot I was happy with. It seemed to either block too much of the outside view, too much of the panel, or be where my head would whack it. Now, I just leave it in the passenger seat, or in the passenger's lap, if I have one.

In the Warrior, I found mounting it on the low center of the windscreen worked well.

Tried placing the Full I pad in various locations where a ram mount would work to no avail.my cockpit is to small going to go with a knee board ,have flown with the I pad on my thigh several times now seems to work.all these posts helped in my decision.

The left side window near the pillar works fine for the suction cup mount in the 182. Blocks a little of the view down and to the left and the panel clock if it's in the usual Cessna location.

Like I said previously, I like the yoke mount personally. I also prefer it on the right yoke but I'm nice enough I don't subject pax to that.

For much of my IR training it was just in my lap which also worked fine.

We don't have a little box between the seats so the biggest problem was setting it on the floor and it sliding around, which wouldn't be fun in IMC single-pilot. I want stuff nailed down somewhere I know it'll stay put if I'm doing that.

Thank you for all of the input.

I think I'll make a cardboard template of both the full and the mini and then spend some time sitting in the plane to figure out which device and what location would work.

I just mounted a full sized iPad in my CTSW with a RAM suction mount (mount is attached to the forward corner of the side window):

image_zpsb2e1572e.jpg

Thank you for all of the input.

I think I'll make a cardboard template of both the full and the mini and then spend some time sitting in the plane to figure out which device and what location would work.

Don't forget to figure out how deep your mounting solution is. RAM makes different length bars to attach things to. You might find a spot you like but need to order up the right length hardware to get it there.

I just mounted a full sized iPad in my CTSW with a RAM suction mount (mount is attached to the forward corner of the side window):

This is essentially what I want to have once done.

Don't forget to figure out how deep your mounting solution is. RAM makes different length bars to attach things to. You might find a spot you like but need to order up the right length hardware to get it there.

Good point.

And I would suggest getting a longer mounting bar than what you think is right. You can adjust the bar's angle to eat up some distance, but they don't stretch very well. :D

I ordered a medium bar (1.5" IIRC), and it was almost too short, a longer bar would have helped me get a more optimum position for the suction cup.

And I would suggest getting a longer mounting bar than what you think is right. You can adjust the bar's angle to eat up some distance, but they don't stretch very well. :D

I ordered a medium bar (1.5" IIRC), and it was almost too short, a longer bar would have helped me get a more optimum position for the suction cup.

I ordered a short bar and a medium bar along with the metal double-ball bar so that I could use both and gain nearly infinite positioning flexibility. When I have them both connected straight, it's about the same length as the long bar. But, it allows me to position the iPad *just right* in the Diamond and "fold" the bar over the front of the yoke in the 182.

iPad kneeboard with leg strap is way to go. I dint have good results with the ram mount, in hot days you will spend quite some time picking the iPad and mount of the floor.

182 panel config is much different. I think you will cover too much of it with that plan. Or mine would, anyway.

This is essentially what I want to have once done.

Good point.

Back