Raining; Didn't Hit a Landing Light. . . . .

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
. . . . with my truck, but it did $3400.00 damage.

Photo #3: was after the incident photography. Note the right door post while vehicle is stopped.
Photo #2: shows what shouldn't have been in the travel lane. Estimated weight is between 400 - 500 pounds. My right rocker panel from front to back is trashed; the front of the body is pushed in 3.5" from matching the rear of the cab.
Photo #1: That's one big sucker(after it had been removed from the street). Police say it's the shopping center's responsibility to keep the avenues free from any traffic hazard.

HR

Attachments

• Truck Incident9 041607.jpg
    Truck Incident9 041607.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Truck Incident1 041607.jpg
    Truck Incident1 041607.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Truck Incident8 041607.jpg
    Truck Incident8 041607.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 71
HR,

Did that get plowed over from the winter snow, and the snow bank just melted?

Sorry about your truck. Is that the Wendy's on 196 in Topsham, by the gravel/cement plant?

Cheers,

-Andrew

HR,

Did that get plowed over from the winter snow, and the snow bank just melted?

Sorry about your truck. Is that the Wendy's on 196 in Topsham, by the gravel/cement plant?

Cheers,

-Andrew

The police officer, to whom I'd reported the boulder as being a traffic hazard, said that he would check to see what truck deliveries had occurred. Tire marks on the turf indicated that a delivery truck might have done a "short turn" into -- yes, that's the Wendy's at Topsham Fair Mall(across from Crooker & Sons Paving) -- and tandem wheels could have relocated the boulder. Investigation determined no truck deliveries that day. It's undetermined how the boulder got relocated but someone must have reported it to Mall management -- not Wendy's -- because the officer later told me that when he called someone to report the hazard he was told that "at that moment someone was en route to get the boulder out of the street." He also told me, "Get an estimate and bring it to me," in a tone which seemed to imply that it would not be my insurance company's responsibility.

We didn't get any snow during the April 15-16 storm; just plenty of rain and winds which gusted to 55mph.

HR

EDIT:
Speaking of winds, I don't know if you've ever been down to Land's End(Bailey Island). Anyway, it's said that yesterday's storm was the most severe since the Blizzard of 1978. During the storm of '78 the seas were so savage at Land's End that the barriers seen in Photo #2 have, since that storm, been 75 feet closer than where they used to sit. The washout over the underlying ledges was astonishing. Photo #1 shows said ledges beyond the barriers. However, I had moved my truck about a hundred feet to the right of the barriers to get other shots(without getting out of the truck). Where I was parked(Photo #1) is the space where used to be the original Land's End Gift Shop. The 1978 storm washed the whole building out to sea. The gift shop was rebuilt, much larger and with a 2nd floor restaurant, to the left of the barriers.
Skip, from Connecticut, I'm sure will relate to the area.

Attachments

• Land's End 041607.jpg
    Land's End 041607.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Land's End2 041607.jpg
    Land's End2 041607.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Skip, from Connecticut, I'm sure will relate to the area.
Things change, Harley. It is now Skip from NYC :D . Thanks for the photos of Land's End, I've been there lots more than once. I'll send these photos on to my parents who will be interested.

-Skip

Things change, Harley. It is now Skip from NYC :D . Thanks for the photos of Land's End, I've been there lots more than once. I'll send these photos on to my parents who will be interested.

-Skip

Skip:

E-mail me your e-mail address and I'll send you the whole series of what I took during the howling wind(25-40, G55) and rain on April 16. Land's End, Cribstone Bridge(from the Orr's Island end), Cook's Lobster House(from Orr's end of the bridge), Cribstone(from just before the Cook's parking lot, Mackerel Cove, and a tree down just slightly over the Great Island Bridge(and Frank Crooker's house). Please note that same will be unretouched, just as right off the flash card.

Today I was out(still raining) at Merrymeeting Airport(power was out) and I photographed the Bowdoinham Bridge(and surrounding waters) where only a couple months back I had photographed the smelt shanties on the ice. Today the river was right to the edge of Route #24, the landing's gangplank was almost horizontal, and the river was only a foot or so under the bridge; definitely no room for kayakers to go under the bridge. Two trees were across the wires just beyond the twin bridges outside of Bowdoinham. A mess.

HR

Back