Rainbows...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I guess I'm a bit of a rainbow hunter. It always reminds me of Genesis 9:14-16 - "And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth."

I took this picture on Friday from the Cub with a student. I told him we were going to take 5 minutes more to go see something cool when I could tell where to find it.

540447_352719461447845_144125688973891_914863_1187457710_n.jpg

Does anyone else go out of their way on occasion to go find one?

Ryan

I do...I have pictures of a double rainbow in a complete circle...the entire thing is visible except the part that the wings of the 182 concealed...

Very surreal experience.

I've seen a 360 degree rainbow while flying - seemed to be centered around the wingtip

I took this photo on the way to WV62 (Windwood) last fall. I thought the "double rainbow" that showed up as I was nearing the resort was beautiful!

IMG_0240.jpg

I also have seen the "pilot's rainbow" around my airplane... also a unique sight just for those of us who can fly! :D

Last edited:
Eh. I hate those things...You'll just be sitting there, minding your own business, and they'll come marching in, and crawl up your leg, and start biting the inside of your ass, and you'll be all like, "Hey. Get out of my ass you stupid rainbows."

OK, whatever Ed is drinking... I just want to make sure there's none in my liquor cabinet.

You had me at 'rainbow'.

Probably everyone knows this:

Your shadow is ALWAYS in the center of a rainbow.
The second rainbow on a double, the colors are reversed.

Beautiful pictures... I have yet to see one while flying, but I hope I have my camera ready when I do.

(And if I was able to get a shot, I'd love to blow the pic up & make a poster of it and send it to EdFred). :rofl: :lol:

Here is one of my aviation related Rainbows. :)

Attachments

• Rainbow  Sept 2007 001.jpg
    Rainbow Sept 2007 001.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 26
Great shots by all. One of my greatest memories of my years stationed in Hawaii was the constant display of rainbows. We "had" to make daily patrol and training flights around the islands and they were a constant reminder of how lucky we were to be there.

I took this pic in Denali, AK in 2008. It was taken about 30 feet from the end of the rainbow. Sorry to say, I was too late and someone had already taken all the gold.

Attachments

• DSC_9949.jpg
    DSC_9949.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Here's a video of me crashing into a rainbow.

Well, somebody has to. Besides, the women at the bachelorette parties love it.

Eh. I hate those things...You'll just be sitting there, minding your own business, and they'll come marching in, and crawl up your leg, and start biting the inside of your ass, and you'll be all like, "Hey. Get out of my ass you stupid rainbows."

You showed me my very first in air rainbow in the Comanche, let me dig up the photo from last year.

Probably everyone knows this:

Your shadow is ALWAYS in the center of a rainbow.
The second rainbow on a double, the colors are reversed.
Speaking of being at the center of the rainbow, the coolest one I have ever seen was off the eastern coast of Africa on a merchant ship. The rainbow literally formed a circle starting at one side of the hull and going back into the other side. If you went to the starboard bridge wing, you could see the rainbow coming out of the hull and the same thing on the port side. Theoretically, the pot of gold should have been right in the middle of Number 4 Hold.

Back