Rain pooling in back of cabin

CherokeeGirl

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CherokeeGirl
I have a PA-32-300 at a tiedown. I just moved from a dry climate to a wet one and now have an issue with rain water getting in the cabin.

So far I haven't been able to find the leak but my plan is to try again on Friday when it's not raining by removing the the inside panels and using a controlled water source to determine where the leak(s) is(are).

I do have a Bruce's cover over the windows which has recently been made water resistant.

Has anyone had this particular issue with a Piper? I'm wondering if the seals where the wings meet the fuselage need to be replaced and/or I should use a tail cone cover and/or if I'm allowed to simply use caulking to keep moisture out when I locate it?

Could be a lot of things. Windows, door seals, and antennas are likely the source...and probably more than one from that list.

A Bruce cover is better than nothing, but long-term outdoor storage for any airplane is a death sentence for that machine.

Yeah, outdoor is not ideal but hangers aren't easy to come by.

I'm not seeing any moisture inside the top of the fuselage. Not even seeing any in the tail that isn't just some condensation from the humidity, but can't be 100% certain yet.

I'll have a better idea come Friday.

I have a Piper Warrior that is parked outside in Florida (I'm #70 on the hangar waitlist...). It's spent a good bit of its life tied down in one coastal area or another and it's holding up pretty well on "death row". It's hard being hangar-less, but I disagree tie down planes are doomed. However, there are a lot of derelicts you see on the ramp that have been weather beaten. That's more due to neglect than getting rained on.

What's worked for me is flying it regularly and applying Corrosion X at every annual. It also leaks when it rains hard despite a good cover, but here's a few things that help mitigate: Make sure your overhead cabin vents are closed (hard rain can cause water to pool in the air vent intake at the base of the vertical stabilizer and drip down from the vents- assuming the Cherokee 6 has the same set up), Corrosion X at least every other annual, Get a Damp Rid bucket to reduce the humidity inside the cabin. Hope this helps and you're able to find the source of the leaks.

Where is it accumulating? In the right front seat well, or back by the left rear seat well? Mine leaked from the rear cargo door but some autozone foam door tape fixed it. Also, is it after sitting or after flying? Try posting some pics on the Facebook pa32 group as well. Lots of good knowledge on the pa32 birds there.

Could be a lot of things. Windows, door seals, and antennas are likely the source...and probably more than one from that list.

A Bruce cover is better than nothing, but long-term outdoor storage for any airplane is a death sentence for that machine.
Wings are a source of water as well. Mine was always windows and door though.

Leaks on a Cherokee can be a real PITA to find. I would get some pooling of water behind the co-pilot seat. Didn't happen all the time and never did find the source of the leak. What finally worked was to tie the plane down "nose up". Pushed the stabilator down to get the front strut extended as far as I could . This is on a PA28-140, not sure if that would work on a PA-32. Haven't had a water issue since. My tie down isn't level, the left wing is an inch or two lower than the right, possible that it was coming down through the wing gap seal. Simple thing to try.

Blowing rain will come into the cabin through the air inlets on front of the wings. You can fabricate a cover for the inlets or cover over them with some kind of plastic wrap. I never had any luck with the plastic wrap but some pilots have. The rain flows to the air ducts on the floor. If the leak is in the tail section, check the drain hose from the duct work.

Back