And the testing continues ....

Attachments

• RAIM DE151.png
    RAIM DE151.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 94
  • RAIM 15DE152.png
    RAIM 15DE152.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 102
Yep. Flown through the area many times while the military is practicing jamming signals. The jamming works really well.

Sometimes they jam without any notice.

Gosh, it's too bad we don't have a nation-wide, ground based nav system independent of satellites, which could pinpoint your location to meters, was a fully automated rnav system, used small inexpensive receivers, and is largely unaffected by solar flares and EMP.
Wait, what is this non-functional radio in my panel.....

Gosh, it's too bad we don't have a nation-wide, ground based nav system independent of satellites, which could pinpoint your location to meters, was a fully automated rnav system, used small inexpensive receivers, and is largely unaffected by solar flares and EMP.
Wait, what is this non-functional radio in my panel.....
LORAN? If they bring back any of the old systems to back up GNSS, I suspect it'll be that. I recall hearing somewhere that Eurocontrol was looking to bring back a minimal LORAN-C infrastructure.

Too bad I can't use the paper-weight (LORAN) from my desk for the new Loran system coming soon. Wouldn't that be fun if all-of-a-sudden these old boxes started picking up signal and giving us LAT-LON readings so that we can cross-reference them on the sectionals, while trying not to go inverted in IMC? :)

My original Loran was a boat version. After turning on and selecting the correct chain and a bunch of other things you had to input your location with a couple dozen button presses (without one mistake!) and then another couple dozen button presses (without one mistake!) for your destination. On long xc's you had to select a new chain and spoon feed it some more. Wow, talk about heads-down time. This was in a 150 though where the only opportunity for a midair was mostly from behind.
The new loran of course was remarkable easy to use.

So much for TSO146 boxes.

Back