Ragwing for sale near me

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Just looked at a decent looking airplane somewhat local to me. Now I have questions.

It was covered roughly 25 years ago in Polyfiber, the covering is showing its age but looks like it could still be good to my untrained eyes. Does anyone know an average time that polyfiber lasts? I've read everything from 25-ish years to basically indefinitely. I'm sure the indefinitely thing is not accurate but curious if 250-ish is accurate or if fabric that looks decent could last longer. If the seller and I can agree on a price I'll definitely get a prebuy on the plane so I have someone more knowledgeable than me looking things over.

On another note, he just had all 4 cylinders replaced and keeps referring to it as a new engine. It is my understanding that replacing cylinders alone is not considered an overhaul and this would mean it is a very high time engine. The lack of a complete overhaul concerns me only because his asking price is realistically where it would be with a zero time engine. Am I being overly cautious with this thought process. The logbook entry said all cylinders were replaced due to low compression.

Just looked at a decent looking airplane somewhat local to me. Now I have questions.

It was covered roughly 25 years ago in Polyfiber, the covering is showing its age but looks like it could still be good to my untrained eyes.

On another note, he just had all 4 cylinders replaced and keeps referring to it as a new engine. It is my understanding that replacing cylinders alone is not considered an overhaul and this would mean it is a very high time engine.

Seems to me you are reading this correctly ... it's not a new engine or even nearly a new engine. The fabric can be punch tested to prove its condition. 25 years on a fabric job is a long time but how it was protected (UV protection in the paint), and how it was stored, will change the lifetime of the fabric before replacement is necessary. Deduct the cost of an engine rebuild and fabric covering job and see how he likes your offer ... :D

Hangared or tied down?
Can you see any light through the fabric (with an adequate thickness of silver, you shouldn't be able to)?

My ride first flew in '98 - fabric is fine.

Get the polyfiber manual and read what it says about testing the fabric...

Hangared or tied down?
Can you see any light through the fabric (with an adequate thickness of silver, you shouldn't be able to)?

My ride first flew in '98 - fabric is fine.

Get the polyfiber manual and read what it says about testing the fabric...
Currently tied down but with a full cover over the plane. I didn't get a chance to pull any inspection covers to look for light today. But noticed a few places with cracked paint, and a couple random spots "repaired" with packing tape. He said some of it was used to help keep the inspection plates in place, but I also noticed a decent sized spot at the entry/exit point for the plane as if it had been kicked by mistake a time or two and he was trying to keep the fabric together/protected.

On another note, he just had all 4 cylinders replaced and keeps referring to it as a new engine. It is my understanding that replacing cylinders alone is not considered an overhaul and this would mean it is a very high time engine. The lack of a complete overhaul concerns me only because his asking price is realistically where it would be with a zero time engine. Am I being overly cautious with this thought process. The logbook entry said all cylinders were replaced due to low compression.
Correct. A top overhaul (if that's what he did) doesn't reset the clock. Given what you've said, I think you're approaching this right!

Does anyone know an average time that polyfiber lasts?
Discuss this with the APIA who will sign your next annual off. Fabric condition is very subjective to the person making the call. Regardless 25 years outside even with "full" covers you're on the downside of the equation.
he lack of a complete overhaul concerns me only because his asking price is realistically where it would be with a zero time engine.
FYI: no overhaul will zero time an engine, only zero out the OH cycle.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, the fabric that has been used in recent times isn’t much of a problem as long as it is properly covered with some kind of coating to protect it. If the cracks you mentioned are leaving the fabric itself exposed, that could be a problem. The good news is that the Poly Fiber system is one of the more durable and easy to repair coating systems.

The best suggestion I would have is to have a mechanic familiar with fabric evaluate it before moving too fast if the condition is a concern. Opinions can vary.

Gloss or flat finish?

The flat Polly-Tone (and everything under it) is vinyl based and the plasticizers tend to dry out and is prone to cracking. They sell a rejuvenator, but don't expect miracles. On the bright side, Polly-Tone is easy to patch up, but it's going to look patched up and you are going to have to keep nursing it along.

The rejuvenator does not work on the gloss Aerothane.

I would get the AI that is going to do your annuals involved - there is a level of objectiveness involved and a lot depends on if he/she is happy to sign off on it.(And, to be clear, I ain't no A&P.)

From the descriptions, it does suggest to me that the owner is a cheap ass and you may encounter other half assed work elsewhere...

Manual can be found online and is well worth a read... https://www.conaircraft.com/download-manuals

Back