Ragbrai Anyone?

RAGBRAI sounds like fun! I used to be pretty bike-crazy; did two solo tours up through the 'dacks and down through theGreen Mountains (700+ miles over two weeks each time, riding and camping) a long time ago, and used to ride every day. Only recently put a bike back on the road, but now I just pedal to the train station, etc.

I'd like to do something big again, especially a fun group thing instead of a Quixotic odyssey, but I'll need more time to get back in shape- maybe for my 60th birthday. :D

Nah the ride fell through for me this year. I really want to do it in '09 though.

OK folks.. Time is nearly upon us for RAGBRAI. I thought it would be a good time to get a count - I'm planning on smoking ribs & chicken for anyone that is town in Ames that evening (Tuesday, 22nd). Also, Rachel will be doing peach cobbler and if we have a 'southern' representation, I'll brew up some sweet tea. ;)

Who all/how many should I plan on so I can get an estimate for how much protein to buy?

Edit: Also, laundry/showers/floor space/etc will be available if needed. We will have 2 campers in our driveway, but we can squeeze another one in if possible.

Last edited:
ill ride my bike over for some grub chris.

Hey Chip, I'm planning to ride at least parts of the days in the middle near Ames. Hope to see you!
MM

OK folks.. Time is nearly upon us for RAGBRAI. I thought it would be a good time to get a count - I'm planning on smoking ribs & chicken for anyone that is town in Ames that evening (Tuesday, 22nd). Also, Rachel will be doing peach cobbler and if we have a 'southern' representation, I'll brew up some sweet tea. ;)

Who all/how many should I plan on so I can get an estimate for how much protein to buy?

Edit: Also, laundry/showers/floor space/etc will be available if needed. We will have 2 campers in our driveway, but we can squeeze another one in if possible.

Added info: The RAGBRAI route comes 1 block from our place as it comes into Ames on Ontario St.

Chris,

I'm in for sure on dinner. That's really nice of you. The rest of my group plan to go to the S T Y X concert but I doubt I'll do that. My taste in music has changed since back in the day.

Have you got room in the street at your house for an RV? We don't have a place yet in Ames.

Laundry and shower???? Hell yes!!!!

Chip, if chris doesnt have room on the street there should be plenty around my place.

see you next week!

Chris,

I'm in for sure on dinner. That's really nice of you. The rest of my group plan to go to the S T Y X concert but I doubt I'll do that. My taste in music has changed since back in the day.

Have you got room in the street at your house for an RV? We don't have a place yet in Ames.

Laundry and shower???? Hell yes!!!!

Chip, if chris doesnt have room on the street there should be plenty around my place.

see you next week!

Great!! Thanks Tony.

No problem, Chip. I will probably be hanging up the RAGBRAI bike shoes once we get to Ames, so this will be a last hoorah before going back to work on Wednesday. :( Should be a good time! Any requests for favorite beverages?

We can try our best to get your RV set up on our street. If we can't, Tony's place isn't very far away and usually has more room for on-street parking.

A huge shout out to Chris and Rachael for their unbelievable Iowa(/Alabama) hospitality. We had a terrific dinner and a great time visiting. We even got to ride with Rachael a bit the following day.

It's always good to get a chance to hang out with Tony, who's flying too much to get a chance to ride.

And thanks to Matt for riding with us the following day on our adventure to Tama-Toledo. It was great to ride with you Matt and to meet your lovely wife. Matt, I'm going to start working on the bike balancing but I think I'll try it in tennis shoes first.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• SANY0157.JPG
    SANY0157.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • SANY0185.JPG
    SANY0185.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • SANY0188.JPG
    SANY0188.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Chip it was great to see you as well. How was the steak in Montour? rest of the ride good?

The steak was OK but we didn't eat in the restaurant so we probably didn't get their best product when we got the "steak-on-a-stick".

The rest of the ride was great!

Attachments

• SANY0216.JPG
    SANY0216.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Q: What do you get with 5 racks of smoked ribs, ~15lbs of smoked chicken, and cold beer?

A: A yard full of new best friends! :D

Great to see Chip and his gang. All were a great crowd to hang out with. Looking forward to RAGBRAI next year.

Attachments

• HPIM2501.JPG
    HPIM2501.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • HPIM2507.JPG
    HPIM2507.JPG
    815.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM2493.JPG
    HPIM2493.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • HPIM2503.JPG
    HPIM2503.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • HPIM2506.JPG
    HPIM2506.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • HPIM2521.JPG
    HPIM2521.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
yea chris we (you) may have to make that a habit. ill bring the beer. yum!

Gees, that was great food!!! The shower and the washing machine were very welcome too. Thanks again.

Gees, that was great food!!! The shower and the washing machine were very welcome too. Thanks again.

No problem! It was our pleasure to have ya'll around! All our family is still talking about how great the Arkansas guys were. They're asking for your email address so they can get in touch with you themselves to start making plans for next year. :yes:

Sounds good! Feel free to give it to them.

Attachments

• SANY0170.JPG
    SANY0170.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
No, Sara never got around to painting the peace signs on Chip's toes like he wanted....there's always next year :)

Back