"Radioactive" bombing of NYC

And if that didn't work, they were gonna take our our navy with sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.... ;-)

Seriously, there is a huge amount of revisionist history regarding the Germans and their real capabilities. Sure, they sketched a lot of neat ideas. They prototyped a few too. And even got a few projects into production soon enough to have a minor impact in the war. But all of those projects were tactical, not strategic.

The bottom line is that the Germans didn't have any war-winning projects even close to production. They were never close to developing an a-bomb, and they probably lacked the resources even if they had made a serious effort.

If you think about it, the Manhattan project was an incredible undertaking that was accomplished in about 3 years. In that timeframe, we developed two completely different A-bombs in parallel. A uranium bomb (little boy) that fired on a gun type principle, and a plutonium bomb (Fat man) that worked by implosion. The technologies and fissile materials (and the refining processes) were entirely different.

And until the Russians stole the technology, nobody else was close.

Bomb New York? That is just downright mean. The Nazis lack of social graces is probably why they ended up losing the war. They were probably still p*ssed off about the Hindenburg.

John

Check the "flying the Atlantic" thread, Dave.

I posted a sketch of that design. Atmosphere skipping was going to get that warhead to Manhattan.

[...] To bad all that creativity couldn't have been directed differently...

+1

I'm sometimes wondering why people seem to become the most creative when it comes to killing others. This also seems to be the thing in which they put the most money in... :frown3:

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited:
I've been told that the Nazi's already had a bomber capable of intercontinental flight before the outset of the war. However, without strategic ordinance these were unlikely to have any effect at all.

Had the Nazis not destroyed the bulk of their brain power by wipping out their Jewish population, it is very reasonable to speculate they might have won the war. I guess I could take that a step further, there might not have been a war at all.

John

Last edited:
+1

I'm sometimes wondering why people seem to become the most creative when it comes to killing others. This also seems to be the thing in which they put the most money in... :frown3:

Cheers,

Oliver

Probably because they think that if they don't become creative then the "others" are going to kill them. It is mostly a self defense mechansim.

However as a result every 5th light bulb in your house is powered by Nuclear power.

Last edited:
Back