Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J
Equipment:
Garmin 430W Comm1
Narko MK12D TSO Comm 2
King KA134 TSO audio panel

Last thursday at the end of a routine flight I didn't think anyone was talking to me in the pattern even though I was making my calls. (I can receive loud and clear with Comm1 and Comm2).

Today, on the ramp, a plane was talking to me and I could hear them just fine, but they couldn't hear me on the Garmin (Comm 1). I tried the Narco (Comm 2) and they said they could barely hear me, transmission was garbled with lots of static. I pulled out my handheld radio and departed the area and called over to the nearby towered airport for radio check. Comm 1 I received no response. Comm 2 got the same response as before, barely hear me, garbed, and static.

Flew back and went to the hangar. Cleaned the radio jacks. Got my spare headset and did radio checks in both pilot and co-pilot sides with the same results on both pilot and co-pilot sides using both headsets.

I unplugged the usb charger in the cigar lighter, no change.

Thoughts on what is causing this issue before I call the avionics shop?

Attachments

• IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 16
Might be in the audio panel. Try to cycle the com 1 and com2 switches a few times. Dial in an unused local frequency and use your hand held as a monitor to see if either radio is transmitting and receiving. You might also have a short in one of your mic jacks. I have seen them get loose and turn enough to cause problems. If you are transmitting carrier and no audio...a shorted mic jack is possible.

I cleaned the mic jack contacts and "tightened" them by bending the retaining clips.

Back