radio static after new avionics

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Current- SL30, garmin audio panel, TKM12
Added- Garmin GPS 175 & G5 HSI

Before the new stuff, no problems with either radio. After the install, horrible static on the TKM. When just the power and avionics, both radios are fine. Crank up the engine, that’s when the static begins.

I had a filter installed years ago but it looks like it’s not helping now. Any suggestions? Is this something the avionics shop needs to fix or could the A&P solve the problem?

What kind of static? Does it change with engine RPM? Quick thought would be a loose or dirty ground connection. Perhaps something not fully re-tightened after the install.

Is this something the avionics shop needs to fix or could the A&P solve the problem?
To me this would be a warranty issue for your shop. Did they interface any new audio alerts into your existing audio panel? If I had to guess based on this limited info your new install may need some shielded wire, or they "updated" your existing grounds, or missed connecting a ground, etc.

No change with different RPMs. Discovered a new problem on Saturday….set up the GPS approach and got a message that there’s no GPS approach. Checked with tower, everything working fine. Guess it’s a flight to the avionics shop later this week with a list of squawks.

Back