Radio operation, Garmin SL40

P

patrick

Radio operation, Garmin SL40
Operator manual says you can store frequencies in a memory mode.
You can then look one up and set it in manually. Can this be done automatically?
If you have a panel mounted Garmin 296 and having looked up some airfield CTAF, can that be automatically set in the SL40? Thanks, Pat

If you have a panel mounted Garmin 296 and having looked up some airfield CTAF, can that be automatically set in the SL40?
I know the 496 can be connected to the SL40 and feed it frequencies, but I don't know if the 296 can. You'd set a 496's Serial Data Format field on the main menu's Setup tab to TIS In/NMEA & VHF Out or Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out. Once that's set up, you set the frequency when looking at it by highlighting it on the Comm tab and pressing Enter.

Since you brought it up: Can an SL30 or SL40 get frequencies from a 430W?

As far as the -30 goes, I don't think so. I've been told that the data interface of the SL30 is different than that of the 430/530 series, presumably because the SL30 wasn't developed by Garmin. It's actually a little unfortunate because the SL30 also doesn't send the currently active frequency to the Aspen EFD; instead, it goes through the analog converter unit like any other (old) radio would.

-Felix

I can't find any way to do it. I tend to use my SL40 to do things like talk to FSS and get ATIS/AWOS info, with the GNS430W for ATC and CTAF communications, so I haven't noticed the lack.

Maybe I can connect the 496 to the SL40, just for grins...

A GNS480 will transmit freq's to the SL-30/40. I wasn't aware that a 496 would do that, I also think it's not kosher to have a handheld sending data to panel mounted avionics in a certified airplane.

But you would think that Garmin would include this feature in their 430W/530W to support their own comm units.

Back