Radio comms into KLOU

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Coming in from the northwest, with and without flight following, how far out and when do I contact Bowman tower?

Normally at a Class D, I initiate contact (and drop of FF) 10 mi out. But in this case the Class D is under Class C. Do I contact Int'l Airport appch/twr to enter C and then get handed to D's tower? Is it more seamless/easier if I have FF?

Yes, you contact the Lou approach controller (132.075) first so just call them when you're 20 miles out and you should be fine whether on FF or not. It doesn't appear to be a busy airspace since they have the same approach frequency of both sides of the runway. Approach will hand you over to tower when appropriate, typically after they've cleared you for the approach.

I really don't think being on FF will make things easier but it definitely can't hurt. If you're on FF then you will be handed off to Lou approach when appropriate.

Yes, FF will solve that for you because the approach controller will hand you off to Bowman tower after he transitions you through his approach/departure corridor.
Though you do not legally have to talk to approach if you stay outside/below their airspace, FF is never a bad thing, it's an extra set of eyes for you, extra knowledge for them (about what you're doing up there) and also a good lifeline.

Also, for crying out loud, do not pronounce "Louisville" correctly. You must mangle it, just like the hillbillies do. "Loovl" is their preferred pronunciation. :)

Neat trick: get the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS for your destination before you get handed off to Louisville approach. Then you can check in as "Loovl approach, 455BU at X thousand Y hundred with Kilo".

"...it's an extra set of eyes for you, extra knowledge for them..." Increases their traffic count, too, which means $$$ at promotion/upgrade time.

Bob

"...it's an extra set of eyes for you, extra knowledge for them..." Increases their traffic count, too, which means $$$ at promotion/upgrade time.

Bob
VFR movements are not counted the same as IFR movements in a radar environment. When we ask pilots to request flight following, we aren’t doing it for a traffic count. We are doing it to help alleviate the close calls many VFR pilots aren’t aware they are part of.

As a former controller, I would suggest using FF. Better to be known and what your intentions are, and get sequenced in to the tower. Approach will hand you off to the tower at the appropriate time but if you're say 5 miles from the field ask or tell approach you're switching to tower. Sometimes they get busy with something else and forget about you for a minute. ;):)

Last edited:
KLOU is pretty easy to get in and out of. Never had a problem but generally use IFR just in case.

That was pretty easy. I used FF. I was directed by appch to descend a ways out, then was given a heading and lower altitude, then another heading and lower yet. They were nice enough to explain, without me asking, that they were trying to get me out of the way of the big airport traffic. Handed me off to tower with plenty of time.

Back