Radical Air Racing

A few months ago there was a tv show that was covering the redbull air race. On one of the runs Kirby pulled back and right so hard after he did his touch and go on the runway that his right wing guide (vertical visual guide) was bent to a 45 degree angle from contacting the runway (he was 3 inches away from doing some serious wing damage :goofy: ). That guy is really good and a little crazy too!

Iceman said:
A few months ago there was a tv show that was covering the redbull air race. On one of the runs Kirby pulled back and right so hard after he did his touch and go on the runway that his right wing guide (vertical visual guide) was bent to a 45 degree angle from contacting the runway (he was 3 inches away from doing some serious wing damage :goofy: ).

Even under ideal circumstances, those T&G's have to be rough on the tires.

Iceman said:
That guy is really good and a little crazy too!

What's the difference between crazy and really really good at what you do?

I like one of the rules for being disqualified: Wreckless or dangerous flying.
If you show up for the race, you're disqualified by default. :D

That's the only air race I've heard of that I'd really like to go see sometime. I'm thinking Budapest...

fgcason said:
Even under ideal circumstances, those T&G's have to be rough on the tires.
One of the Extra 300's that was flown during trials right before Reno (September, 2004) is still being repaired after a "touch and go", where (as I understand it) the prop was involved in the "touch" part and the tail wheel was shoved into the rudder.
fgcason said:
That's the only air race I've heard of that I'd really like to go see sometime. I'm thinking Budapest...
It's very exciting to watch but it's only a matter of time before there is a very serious, very public accident.

fgcason said:

***edit for brain lapse***

I really want to get some good pictures of the race.

Last edited:
The video that Frank Versteegh made of his circuit at the RB Race in Hungry is just incrediable but I think hes the one chip was talking about that did the rough T&G.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Do you know the San Fran dates ?
Oct. 8.

And next year a "show" is in the planning stages for Miami that is described to me as a cross between an air show and Cirque de Soliel, with airplanes and trucks and explosions and stuff.

Back