Radar Reflector

Can you buy another plane with the box in it that does the same thing for $12k?

Have you called White Industries about a used txp? Have you considered hanging an alternator between the gear and powering it with an Ag pump drive fan/prop? There are also the kits for the old disc drive motors to turn them into wind generators.

I bet with a bit of thought, effort, and scrounging you could put in an electrical system and txp for <AMU.

I barely fit in the airplane. The only way in fitting a transponder in is if it's tiny which costs money. All tiny transponders are very power efficient and I can get by for days without generating power.

The last thjng you want to do with a 80 knot airplane is make it slower. There is a reason you never see wind driven generators anymore, they didn't work for ****. Don't need to do this though as power isn't my primary issue it's cost.

As to selling it any buying another airplane, no thanks. I want to keep this one flying as long as I can.

I will buy one someday, but right now I have more important financial goals. The actual risk of getting run over is tiny. Read the Flybaby NTSB reports to see how people get killed in them. Those mx mistakes are where I direct the limited funds I have available for now.

If I'm going to get run over it'll probably be at Airventure and a transponder doesn't do you any good there.

Always easier to spend another guys money :)

Last edited:
I'd love to specify 2" (or even 1") copper tape for my plastic plane antennas, but 1/2" is the most commonly available width I can find without special order.

Find a broadcaster who's recently rebuilt a studio. They sometimes use 2" copper foil, although I don't know if it's adhesive-backed. The aluminum stuff they sell on a roll at Home Depot is 2" wide, relatively cheap, and works well for gimmick antennas.

BTW, what happened to the fuel situation at Morgan County Airport? It used to be the only mogas stop between California and Denver. I see it all went away.

Probably not marketed well enough to float. Try Brigham City (KBMC). 8900' runway and both 100LL and Jet-A.

Just noticed your tail number. 73, AE4KR/7

Find a broadcaster who's recently rebuilt a studio. They sometimes use 2" copper foil, although I don't know if it's adhesive-backed. The aluminum stuff they sell on a roll at Home Depot is 2" wide, relatively cheap, and works well for gimmick antennas.

My copper foil antennas go INside of a homebuilt aircraft fuselage/tailfeathers/wings and are glassed over for the life of the aircraft. I'd rather not stake my reputation on having an aluminum foil antenna stand up after 50 years of flying.

Probably not marketed well enough to float. Try Brigham City (KBMC). 8900' runway and both 100LL and Jet-A.

Don't need LL or A, need MOgas. When you fill up with 50 gallons a buck a gallon makes a hell of a difference.

Jim
73 CQ. If I ever need another one I'll use 88 CQ. WX6RST jw

Just noticed your tail number. 73, AE4KR/7

Last edited:
I barely fit in the airplane. The only way in fitting a transponder in is if it's tiny which costs money. All tiny transponders are very power efficient and I can get by for days without generating power.

The last thjng you want to do with a 80 knot airplane is make it slower. There is a reason you never see wind driven generators anymore, they didn't work for ****. Don't need to do this though as power isn't my primary issue it's cost.

As to selling it any buying another airplane, no thanks. I want to keep this one flying as long as I can.

I will buy one someday, but right now I have more important financial goals. The actual risk of getting run over is tiny. Read the Flybaby NTSB reports to see how people get killed in them. Those mx mistakes are where I direct the limited funds I have available for now.

If I'm going to get run over it'll probably be at Airventure and a transponder doesn't do you any good there.

LOL, the fun thing about a plane like yours is you can hang what you want off it and it won't slow you down. That wing is what sets your speed, not all the junk hanging off the plane.

LOL, the fun thing about a plane like yours is you can hang what you want off it and it won't slow you down. That wing is what sets your speed, not all the junk hanging off the plane.
A lot of Fly Baby guys have considered wind turbines for power, but few have actually gone and done it. Basic problem is that they need speed to generate enough power, and a Fly Baby isn't all that fast.

Our Engine Guru discussed the pros and cons...

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/wind_gen.html

I know Jesse's pain of trying to fit more gear in a Fly Baby. I've got a generator on mine and live under Class B, so I had to have one. It took a "bump out" to fit a Microair on the panel, as there wasn't enough room otherwise. AND a right-angle BNC connector for the antenna output, which I didn't want to use.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/elect_panelin.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

I've got a microair that you are welcome to borrow for a long time if you'd like to try to see how it works. I'll check current draw but I think you can do that online if you want to.

Jim

The microair is one of the better ones in respect to current draw. The trig also is an interesting option in that it is ads-b ready

Just get some aluminum foil, crumble it up in a small gym bag and put in the fuselage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back