RA question

R

RA questioner

My first attempt apparently wasn't good enough for the management council. Let's try this again...

A little while back I was informed that an incident I was involved with was under investigation. I was flying a military aircraft and the agency doing the investigating only does civilian investigations, so I'm not being investigated directly. I was simply informed that there was an investigation.

The incident occurred when a civilian air carrier decided to descend through my altitude after reporting me in sight. I also had them in sight and took evasive action pointing my tail 90 degrees to their flight path. The air carrier leveled off 500' above my altitude while passing behind me. As they passed, the air carrier guys claim they got an RA. I never received an RA but I did get a TA.

So, my question is, if one aircraft gets an RA, shouldn't the other aircraft also get an RA? I'll admit that I'm no expert in how these systems talk to each other.

I’m no expert on TCAS either but I would think unless you both are using the same system with the same parameters set and on an intercept, you won’t get an RA at the same times. Sure your aircraft isn’t equipped with a TAS or TCAS I?

Unless you turned without ATC permission, I’m not sure why there’s an investigation going on. If both of you had each other in sight and informed to maintain visual separation, the approved separation (radar) isn’t required. A few other caveats about lead can’t be a Super and informing the pilot of a heavy and issuing a wake turb advisory if necessary but that’s about it.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for only one airplane to issue an RA - I seem to get one or two per year going in and out of NYC. Never any investigation though.

Maybe they are investigating the air carrier due to you having to take evasive action

You can get a RA even when the other aircraft doesn't have TCAS.

Maybe they are investigating the air carrier due to you having to take evasive action
If I had to guess, it’s be that the air carrier complained because they didn’t understand what “visual separation” meant with regard to the possibility of an RA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back