R.i.p. Gns 480

Joe B

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe B
Garmin released a memo to dealers yesterday announcing the GNS480 is being discontinued:

"Since the introduction of our GNS400W/500W WAAS units, sales of the GNS480 have continued to decline. In order to preserve sufficient parts in stock to service the thousands of units in the field for years to come, it has become necessary to discontinue the GNS 480. The remaining stock is available on a first come, first served basis, while supplies last."

Regards,
Joe

Who didn't see that coming?

You don't buy the competition so you can make their product better.

Keeping the "Best practices" of both companies = keeping what our company was doing.

Out of curiosity, what features does the 480 have that the 530 doesn't?

I know airways used to be one of those missing features on the x30, but I have a feeling that there might be others....

-Felix

Out of curiosity, what features does the 480 have that the 530 doesn't?

I know airways used to be one of those missing features on the x30, but I have a feeling that there might be others....

-Felix

There's a recent thread about that, I think one that EdFred started. The large thing seems to be that the 480 has Victor airways and has an interface well suited for those used to FMS's.

Not surprising. I've done IR training with dozens of folks with 430/530's but only one with a 480. Sounds like folks have voted with their wallets as to which they want and Garmin listened.

There's a recent thread about that, I think one that EdFred started. The large thing seems to be that the 480 has Victor airways and has an interface well suited for those used to FMS's.
Thanks Grant, I must have missed that one!

-Felix

Not surprising. I've done IR training with dozens of folks with 430/530's but only one with a 480. Sounds like folks have voted with their wallets as to which they want and Garmin listened.

The story I've heard many times is that Garmin pushed the 430/530 much harder than the 480 making the "voting" somewhat in error. That said, it's pretty clear to me that pilots who fly IFR regularly and are the type to master more than "direct to" would favor the 480 but they seem to make up a small fraction of the GPS purchasers.

Back