R/C Float Planes- What's the deal?

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I live in a boating community and my back yard is deck and dock on a freshwater bay. The water here is calm and flat nearly year round and during mornings and evenings can be glassy flat.

Some of my neighbors have R/C boats and some of my neighbors have ultralight float planes and regular float planes. I don't have much interest in the R/C boat and I can't afford, nor do I have the dock space for a real float plane, but it got me to thinking, what about an R/C float plane?

To those that are R/C airplane guys, what is involved with flying an R/C plane? Is it practical, or are you just looking at headache and heartbreak. How hard is it to learn to take off and land an R/C float plane? Is there a "trainer" version?

Thanks!

I'm not a modeler but a quick Google search showed some. Wonder if they float.:dunno:

When I see R/C planes, I always wonder, "Why?" Lol I saw an RC B-17 the other day that was bigger than my Midget Mustang, I'd have a cockpit in that baby!

Here is your answer:

With the HZ Super Cub you can teach yourself to fly, then when ready throw a set of floats on it. 200 bucks, comes ready to fly / everything you need. Has taught many people how to fly. Float kit for 25 bucks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-HBZ7400#t4

hbz7390.jpg

Check out AMA, the AOPA/EAA of the RC world, at www.modelaircraft.org. There should be a club or instructor near you for advice and assistance. Flying and landing when you aren't inside is different, you must use different cues and of course there is no sight picture when landing.

I have no float plane time, but used to fly RC when I had time. Park flyers look great but are very light with low wing loading and little wind tolerance. The electric planes make the end of flight clean up very quick (no exhaust residue).

I'm a long time RC pilot. float flying is a blast. Just make sure you have a recovery boat, because there will be times you will not be able to taxi back to the dock for various reasons.

Here is your answer:

With the HZ Super Cub you can teach yourself to fly, then when ready throw a set of floats on it. 200 bucks, comes ready to fly / everything you need. Has taught many people how to fly. Float kit for 25 bucks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-HBZ7400#t4

hbz7390.jpg

Looks perfect! Thanks! Funny question I thought of though, in the modeling world, which is easier to take off and land, conventional, or tricycle gear?

Ahhh, cool, it's not an R/C. Too bad the website is down, I'm curious as to the engines.

Last I read about this project, they were Hirth 2 strokes IIRC. The only thing he could find that would fit in the cowl and nacelle that wouldn't alter the shape, or scale. This is off the top of my head, so could be wrong, but I think it was to be a combined 120-160hp.

I'm a long time RC pilot. float flying is a blast. Just make sure you have a recovery boat, because there will be times you will not be able to taxi back to the dock for various reasons.

Not a problem. I have a dingy, 2 jet skis and a 20' Monterey on my dock. I'm lazy, so likely I'd use a jet ski.:D

Last I read about this project, they were Hirth 2 strokes IIRC. The only thing he could find that would fit in the cowl and nacelle that wouldn't alter the shape, or scale. This is off the top of my head, so could be wrong, but I think it was to be a combined 120-160hp.

There's a little Aussie radial, 120hp IIRC that would likely fit from what I can see. 120-160 HP would be disappointing in that plane I'd think. 480hp would be pretty sporty and allow for a bomb load.:yes:

Trikes are easier on the ground but it is a bit different. And the penalty for screwing it up is considerably less.

Try to learn with help. Doing it alone can be frustrating even with the right aircarft, or impossible with the wrong aircraft.

If it attracts you, go for it. You'll have a blast, especially on floats. It's all about TOs and landings anyway.

My nephew bought a complete ready to fly P38 Lightning. Really neat RC aircraft - first (and only) flight lasted about 17 seconds before the Fork-tailed Devil bit the dust :yikes:

My nephew bought a complete ready to fly P38 Lightning. Really neat RC aircraft - first (and only) flight lasted about 17 seconds before the Fork-tailed Devil bit the dust :yikes:

Talk about modeling realism! That's almost exactly how long a real P-38 would last at the hands of someone who was not qualified to fly it.:lol:

Talk about modeling realism! That's almost exactly how long a real P-38 would last at the hands of someone who was not qualified to fly it.:lol:

My great uncle did one of his tours in WWII in one, said it was the sweetest out of the P-39, 47, & 51 because he always had the turning advantage to the right.

You start with a free R/C simulator app on your phone to help you avoid dumb thumbs.

Then you buy/fly an $89 trainer - the Hobbyzone Champ or equivalent. After that, you move to something that has ailerons, yet is easy to fly. Hobbyzone has a dozen candidates for $100-$150. Finally, you try the P-38 or something like that.

Alternately, you buy the P-38 for $$, crunch it in 17 seconds, and never try your hand at R/C again.

My neighbor borrows my pond several times a year to fly his float plane. Looks like a lot of fun. He has a guided missile destroyer also! :lol:

Here is the ship.

RC_Destroyer.jpg

Here is the Beaver

RC_Float_Plane__Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
You start with a free R/C simulator app on your phone to help you avoid dumb thumbs.

Oooo!! Tell me about these aps. Is there one for the iPhone, or iPad? Seems like a good way to learn how to fly backwards as the plane is coming towards you.

I'm working on a Electrifly PBY right now. I taught myself, flying a Parkzone T-28. Then moved up to their Corsair. The foam airplanes are great. Crash 'em and glue it back together. The apps they have out now will save you some heartache. Get comfortable flying / landing on your computer or ipad and you'll have the basics and ready to solo. Find a large clear area and keep it out in front of you doing large circles at 100 feet or so.

When I was into it as a kid we basically had a set of plans, a bunch of balsa wood, no electric motors and radios that weren't all that great. A good crash usually meant you were done for the season.

Back