R-5002D

OzPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OzPilot
Guys,
Was looking at the Washington sectional and I see the GXU McGuire VORTAC in an Alert area and the vortac seems to have R-5002D near it but not specifically a restricted areas (unlike the R-5002, A, B & F) below the vortac.

Am I good to track east bound to the coast from PHL to the vortac and descend for the coast southbound or should I go through the ACY Class C instead?

Cheers

Guys,
Was looking at the Washington sectional and I see the GXU McGuire VORTAC in an Alert area and the vortac seems to have R-5002D near it but not specifically a restricted areas (unlike the R-5002, A, B & F) below the vortac.

Am I good to track east bound to the coast from PHL to the vortac and descend for the coast southbound or should I go through the ACY Class C instead?

Cheers
D is separated vertically from A,B,C,&F. Look at the legend and it should specify the altitudes. The little dotted arrow is pointing to the boundary. It appears they are mostly superimposed, so yes fly to the Vortac then to the coast and you'll avoid 5001 & 5002.

Last edited:
Cheers.. I see the dotted line to the restricted area now

If you go from Philly to GXU and then to the coast you will go right through R-5001. I think the VORTAC you are thinking of is Coyle(CYN) which is under the alert area. And yes, you can go from philly to CYN east to the coast and be clear of R-5002. I know someone is gonna chime in so...
Disclaimer: Yes, I am assuming he is going to be below FL200 so R-5002 F & G are not a factor.

If you go from Philly to GXU and then to the coast you will go right through R-5001. I think the VORTAC you are thinking of is Coyle(CYN) which is under the alert area. And yes, you can go from philly to CYN east to the coast and be clear of R-5002. I know someone is gonna chime in so...
Disclaimer: Yes, I am assuming he is going to be below FL200 so R-5002 F & G are not a factor.
Right, going to GXU could put you in R-5001. I wonder if that's ever gotten anyone in trouble? Easy to mixup on the sectional.

Philly city to GXU to coast keeps you south of R5001 by around 9nm

Follow the dotted line again, you appear to be mistaking CYN for GXU. Switch to the low enroute and look at it there.

The identifier for the vortac 9nm south of R-5001 is to northeast of the vortac's center. If you are over 8k you can go direct PHL - GXU - to the coast. Anything under 8k and you will pass right through restricted airspace.

Follow the dotted line again, you appear to be mistaking CYN for GXU. Switch to the low enroute and look at it there.

SkyVector to the rescue. I saw it clear as day on the low enroute when I made my flight plan. Cheers, yes I meant CYN. Planned it out and went through the middle on with PHL APP anyway (after a city tour) and turned southbound on coast with descent at Barnegat Light reporting point.

Cheers guys, was a nice flight

Last edited:
Bring up McGuire ATIS and it will tell you if 5001/5002 are active also

Back