Quote boxes and spaces between

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Chuck,

Why do I get a huge space between the text I put in quotes and my response? Can I make it smaller?

Also, is there an easier way to quote bunches of text than to repeatedly copy and paste the quote/unquote commands? Sometimes I end up missing one, or I forget to remove the / mark.

I see two buttons, Close Current Tag and Close All Tags, but they have "x"s in them and don't seem to work for me.

Thank you, patient answerer of questions.

I am using { and } in this message to substitute for [ and ].

I also surmise from the context of your message that you are using the "Standard" editor with extended controls. (As opposed to the WYSIWYG editor.)

Toby said:
Why do I get a huge space between the text I put in quotes and my response? Can I make it smaller?
Yes - when quoting text, remove extra white space before and after the {QUOTE} and {/QUOTE} tags. Those tags automatically add a blank line before and after the quoted text, so any additional whitespace in your message is further extended by those blank lines.

Also, is there an easier way to quote bunches of text than to repeatedly copy and paste the quote/unquote commands? Sometimes I end up missing one, or I forget to remove the / mark.
Yes - but you must manually close the first one yourself, and you must ensure that the editor is set to Enhanced Mode. Once you've done that, position the cursor at the beginning of the next text block you wish to quote, and push the QUOTE button
quote.gif
. This will insert the Begin Quote tag {QUOTE} at your cursor.

Now put the cursor at the end of the text block you wish to quote and push the Close Current Tag button. This will insert the End Quote tag {/QUOTE} at your cursor. You can also push the Quote button instead of the "Close Current Tag" button, and it will insert the same ending tag.

I see two buttons, Close Current Tag and Close All Tags, but they have "x"s in them and don't seem to work for me.
The red x in the button does not mean it is disabled - its just a darn stupid choice of imagry selected by the vbulletin design team. The Close Current and Close All tag buttons do not do anything until you have used one of the other buttons to the left to open a tag.
Thank you, patient answerer of questions.
Happy to oblige! :)
:dance:

Toby said:
Chuck,

Normal response started on the next line below your quoted text yields big space.
Toby said:
Reply again starting immediately after end quote tag results in smaller space (but uglier to deal with in the edit window)
Toby said:
I haven't seen any way, but I'm a pure rookie/novice at the vBoard stuff.
Toby said:
They don't work for me, either. I've wondered about them?

Back