Quickie video - Fall Departure KAPA

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Just a boring video of my KAPA Runway 10 Departure today.

Just messing around with an iPhone mount and iMovie. It ain't that great.

I wasn't in movie-making mode today, too much to do to spend time editing after I got home.

Just a nice sunny Fall day takeoff in the 182. And a nice song.

More info on the flight itself in the pre-flight thread. Argh.

Let me know when you get to Castle Rock.

I liked the song, but I like the radio comms in vids even better. ...

I liked the song, but I like the radio comms in vids even better. ...

Yeah, I thought about mixing it in but pretty boring since run-up was complete on initial call up and I got the usual "taxi to runway 10 via the ramp" and then, "monitor tower", and then "cleared for takeoff, on course approved" as per KAPA's odd-ball procedures (which do seem to work fine, but don't match anyone else's...).

Nothing interesting enough to leave them in the audio. :)

Yeah, I thought about mixing it in but pretty boring since run-up was complete on initial call up and I got the usual "taxi to runway 10 via the ramp" and then, "monitor tower", and then "cleared for takeoff, on course approved" as per KAPA's odd-ball procedures (which do seem to work fine, but don't match anyone else's...).

Nothing interesting enough to leave them in the audio. :)

So you don't actually ever call the tower, except to acknowledge? Why would that be?

Just a boring video of my KAPA Runway 10 Departure today.

I was just departing from 35R when you were reentering the pattern when you did that video.

Here the video I took that day, note to self: flying into the sun is a PITA.

So you don't actually ever call the tower, except to acknowledge? Why would that be?

Its just how things work there. I guess the general idea is that if ground handles the majority of the communication, some of the workload would be reduced from tower. Also at times when the pattern for the parallel is getting to be pretty busy, the tower frequencies will split -- 118.9 for 35R/17L, 10/28 and 123.7 for the parallel.

They changed the procedure about 20 years ago. The problem was that they would have a whole gaggle of airplanes in the runup area and the one in the rear would call ready for takeoff. That, and airplanes would jockey for position at the hold short line in order to not get blocked in. The way it works now is that you tell ground when your runup is complete. They sequence you and tell you when you can move up to the hold short line and monitor tower for your takeoff clearance.

They changed the procedure about 20 years ago. The problem was that they would have a whole gaggle of airplanes in the runup area and the one in the rear would call ready for takeoff. That, and airplanes would jockey for position at the hold short line in order to not get blocked in. The way it works now is that you tell ground when your runup is complete. They sequence you and tell you when you can move up to the hold short line and monitor tower for your takeoff clearance.

Ahh gotcha. That does seem to make sense, especially for an airport with a slew of planes running up at once. We don't have that problem where I fly... :)

And if you run-up in an empty hangar row (no one was in our row when I went up), and the initial call is with run-up complete and a direction of flight, they'll have ya taxi right to the hold line and you're number one. Which is what you see in the video.

In fact. In the video a taxi clearance isn't required all the way to that hold line because the "Charlie" entrances to 10/28 are from uncontrolled ramp painted to look like a taxiway.

There's sight line problems from the tower to that ramp area so it's uncontrolled.

The new taxiway on the south side of 10/28 that's being paved right now, will probably be controlled. Don't know yet. But it is visible from the tower cab full length.

The pause at the hold line was for the ground controller to notice I was there, hand the flight strip to the local controller with my direction of flight already on it, and say "monitor tower".

Next call was "cleared for takeoff".

It works pretty well and keeps a lot of transmissions off of the tower frequency.

The FAA dinged them on the old procedure and made them create run-up boxes to clear people to when folks mistook "taxi to runway 35R" as a clearance onto to runway, and taxiied right out into the active. Even with phraseology to hold-short, they still did it.

FAA said it wasn't positive control and made the airport designate run-up areas. Ground now clears you to a run-up area if you require a run-up then clears you to the Hold Line separately in whatever order the local controller wants to launch you into the traffic flow, Then once you've repeated the magic words, "hold short of runway 35R" they are allowed to say, monitor tower".

Back