Quick review of exponential gain re health issues

jonvcaples

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Sasquatch
What does exponential gain tell us about how quickly a phenomenon such as COVID-19 can spread in the USA? Assumptions: 1-the number of cases doubles every 7 days, 2-no cure is available for 1 year, 3-25 of those infected require hospitalization, 4-deaths occur starting at 4th week of hospitalization, and 5-we have 1,000,000 hospital beds available.

Week # person is infected on last day / Total infected to date / # of beds required
1 128 / 254 / 64
2 16,384 / 32,800 / 8,200
3 2,097,152 / 4,194,000 / 1,490,000

So late in the third week we will need EVERY hospital bed in the USA!

Keep in mind there are a number of things that can and will influence what happens in real life plus the assumptions upon which this is based may not be accurate. This is a worse case scenario intended to encourage thought and discussion. What are your thoughts?

If 3 out of 25 require hospitalization why do you need 64 beds for 254 infected to date?

At the end of week 1 254 will be infected. Dividing 254 by 4 gives us 63.5 but you need a whole bed so round up to 64.

Upon what are basing 3 out of 25?

25% of cases do not need to be hospitalized.

Salty-that is merely an assumption used in my calculations.

Peter-when energy permits will rerun calculations, getting tired and need to rest soon. Had chemo earlier this week so jinda feeling p;oopo.

Got it.

My thoughts, will the larger metropolitan areas suck up too much of the available medical resources during the early days leaving the more rural areas where the spread will be slower to go without?

Peter-when energy permits will rerun calculations, getting tired and need to rest soon. Had chemo earlier this week so jinda feeling p;oopo.

Yikes, speedy recovery wishes...............

Current doubling time appears to be 2.5 days in the US.
Yep. I did an exponential fit to the data here in VT through yesterday. The fit isn't great because the sample is relatively small (49 cases as of yesterday), but the doubling time came out to 2.4 days, so very consistent with the national trend.

Back