Quick oil change option in Southern Indiana or Kentucky

Fitz376

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fitz
I do a bunch of flying through the area and need a spot that does good work and might have enough availability to allow a pass through oil change (and occasional quick AD inspections) with little advance notice. I carry filter, oil and additive with me. Just need A&P hands and site. I realize that's asking a lot of a shop, but my schedule is often tight with about 20-30 hours of flight per week and a quick turn is very, very helpful. I'm lucky to have great mechanics in other parts of the country that can accommodate but none here yet.

edit: Should add that really looking for a long term location for additional work as it arises. So this is a general request for good shops in the area around Owensboro with reasonable rates and are usually not booked out for a week to two in advance for basic mx or small repairs.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Last edited:
Pretty sure no shop is going to want to use your oil and filter. They make a little money selling that. That sounds like a turn off IMHO.
Maybe a private pilot with a hangar somewhere in the area will see this and volunteer his hangar for a oil change and you 2 could "tag team"it? Good luck to you

Why do you need A&P hands for an oil change?

There are some limitations on pilots doing preventive maintenance tasks.

Per CFR 43.3,

Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter.

It’s possible he’s operating under 121, for example. Or maybe he’s not the owner.

I’m sure you can find something at Kankakee KIKK or Anderson KAID, both are helpful GA friendly airports, if they are near you.

Pretty sure no shop is going to want to use your oil and filter. They make a little money selling that.
My shop is perfectly happy to use my oil & filters. They make money on parts, but it's small potatoes next to the $118 shop rate. They can supply the oil as cheaply as I can, but sometimes don't have the filter, so I usually just bring a filter and a pint of camguard with me.

@Skyrys62 @crash7 Any ideas for the OP?

I'll check with a couple of local A&P's to see if they want to take on any additional work. If so, I'll PM the OP.
For shops that aren't too far, try Don Davis Aviation at KEHR (no avionics installation), or Elizabethtown Flying Service at KEKX, although I know they are very busy, mostly because of avionics installs.

You could check with Cherry Hill Aviation at Freeman Municipal (KSER)

Good recommendations here, thanks. I'll check with a couple of these.

Yes, not my airplane.

Back