Quick fuel stop question.

It's not possible to do that with most of them. They won't let you proceed with the fueling until you pull the card back out.

I almost always fuel myself even if the fuel truck comes out. It's way easy to underfill the Navion main tanks if you don't know what you're doing and the aux tank can give you a 100LL shower if you aren't listening carefully as the sound of the fuel gurgling up the filler neck is your indication it is full.
At FTG ( oh wait, yesterday Feb 1 was the Official Change Day...it’s now CFO) you pull the card out but until you turn off the pump with the handle on the tank, your card is still buying gas for anyone and everyone.

Plus there’s no LCD on the pump, it’s still the old style rotating physical numbers! The whole setup is in a little hut - one wall behind everything (west side where the wind comes from most of the time) and a fairly large roof covering it. No problems seeing anything.

UPDATE: Foreflight has the new identifier for The Airport Formerly Known as Front Range. Now I gotta remember new code when talking to ATC.

Last edited:
And can anyone tell me what the point of entering my N number is? I actually enter a fake/nonexistent number every time only because it feels “big brother”-ish.
If they discover a problem with the fuel, they can notify people who own planes that have been fueled during the affected time. Possibly before the planes crash due to the bad fuel.

If you are planning a fuel stop at a small rural airport check ahead of time to make sure they have an above ground fuel tank. I will not fill at an airport with a buried tank anymore, learned an expensive lesson!
upload_2020-2-3_10-55-34.png
Debris from the underground tank plugged the filter in the airport's fuel pump. The pump blew out a chunk of the fuel filter and into my tanks. A picture of some of the debris taken from the airplane system screen is attached. Part of the filter element partially plugged the fuel injectors and the engine monitor saved a burnt up jug on three occasions. The airplane tanks were emptied and cleaned twice, the entire fuel injection system was replaced twice, had down time at two different airports that was inconvenient, fight with the airport and their insurance that lasted over a year, never did get a full settlement and tension still exists with the airport management over it. They can not adequately sump debris off of an underground tank like can be done with an above ground tank! This probably would not have been as big of an issue with a carburetor but the smaller orifices of an injected system led to big problems. May have been an issue in a carburetor too. Without the engine monitor we would not have known we had a partially plugged injector. And would not have been able to know the exact time of the problem which would have led to problems determining the source. Small town airport manager would not take responsibility.

Back