Quick flight to Iowa

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
Finally made my first trip to Iowa in the Trinidad. Flew into KOQW, Maquoketa for business and while at the airport received a call from Cleaveland Tool that my RV8 seats were ready. Made a quick hop over to KBNW, Boone for the pick up and headed home. Couple things about Iowa, really flat, lots of heat and plenty of cross winds -15 gusting 20+.

I've never seen winds 'minus 15 gusting to positive 20'! Is that a 35 knot gust?

: )

Finally made my first trip to Iowa in the Trinidad. Flew into KOQW, Maquoketa for business and while at the airport received a call from Cleaveland Tool that my RV8 seats were ready. Made a quick hop over to KBNW, Boone for the pick up and headed home. Couple things about Iowa, really flat, lots of heat and plenty of cross winds -15 gusting 20+.

Yeah I have been in iowa for the past few days and have done some flying locally...every one of which, including my arrival Monday, has involved a crosswind of at least 15-18 g20-22! And as a native (but I left a long time ago) this level of heat/humidity is atypical for June. More like August.

Another observation: lots of tiny airports, many unattended, with a crew car outside and a number to call for the location of the keys posted inside! And pretty decent 100LL prices, at least compared to the northeast.

Did you use the crew car in Maquoketa? It used to be a '75 Chevy Nova -- a real piece of work. We drove it back to Iowa City after landing in freezing rain, and my kids were thrilled to discover that the back window wouldn't go up all the way. Brr...

Was the interior shop still there? They did my leather interior back in 2006-ish. Great guys.

I hope you stopped in to see the guys at W&C Aircraft Works while you were at BNW. They've always got something going on there, and they're a great group of guys to sit around and shoot the bull with.

RE: Lots of airports -- I believe almost every one of the 99 counties in Iowa has at least one public airport. It makes spur of the moment pitstops while out burning gas very convenient. ;)

We're heading out within the next couple of hours for a weekend trip up to Iowa.

I did, what a great story of avid builders helping others build . Left Thursday and misswd their fly in Saturday however i was the first to buy one of their T shirts.

It's a metric thing. Like I said, crazy winds in Iowa!

Back