Questions Regarding the new RC Allen 1510 digital DG

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I just saw the notification that RC Allen is also offering a FAA certified DG.

Is this pretty much the same as the Garmin G5?

If I just wanted to upgrade the old DG to one like this is it really as simple as power...and well, okay the GPS antennae. Or maybe what I am really asking...would it be a lot cheaper to upgrade to this one than the G5 when it comes to installation costs?

I just saw the notification that RC Allen is also offering a FAA certified DG.

Is this pretty much the same as the Garmin G5?

If I just wanted to upgrade the old DG to one like this is it really as simple as power...and well, okay the GPS antennae. Or maybe what I am really asking...would it be a lot cheaper to upgrade to this one than the G5 when it comes to installation costs?

The G5 can do so much more its not even funny.

I don't see any RC Allen digital DG.

First Glance:

G5:
external magnetometer (IMHO should be a lot more reliable than a magnetometer stuck in the instrument panel subject to more magnetic disturbances)
$150 standby battery that last 4+ hours.
Standby attitude indicator, airspeed, vertical speed, built in.
A $500 box (GAD29) can be used to display data from GNS/GTN GPS units in lieu of a $1500~ CDI. If installed with a GNC255 no GAD29 is needed so it will display that readio's data at no extra cost other than a couple wires.

Both will need an external GPS antenna in many cases. The G5 could be disconnected from the GPS antenna when a GTN/GNS is installed, saving you from buying and installing another $300 antenna.

upload_2018-4-3_15-14-25.png

The RC Allen is more money to boot, but might save 12 hours in labor or so.

upload_2018-4-3_15-15-26.png

Last edited:
Can I ask this another way:

If I just wanted a non-mechanical DG but have no interest in autopilot and all of those G5 features...wouldn't this be way, way cheaper from a install point of view? And related to that, can this be installed without the GPS and thus a very cheap swap out by a A&P?

I get that the G5 has more features but it seems to get them you really get into $$$$ labor.

if you are doing your ADSB out shortly, schedule about the same time, that will save lot of labor.

Can I ask this another way:

If I just wanted a non-mechanical DG but have no interest in autopilot and all of those G5 features...wouldn't this be way, way cheaper from a install point of view? And related to that, can this be installed without the GPS and thus a very cheap swap out by a A&P?

I get that the G5 has more features but it seems to get them you really get into $$$$ labor.

That's just it, even for the basic DG you'll be doing 75% of the steps needed for the G5 anyway.

Request some quotes for something firm in you hands to look at.

I'm also curious which is cheaper to fix.

Might also want to consider long term plans for the plane. If you sold in a few years potential buyers would say WTF didn’t they install a G5 instead of this equally priced simple AI?

Since this is all still hypothetical:

If the A&P just swapped this in and didn't have to hook up the GPS. Then this might be a few $$$ more than the G5 but I have yet to see a G5 install cost less than another $1500. And then throw in the fact no one is going pay full price for the avionics I installed, no matter how cool. This unit just seems like a digital replacement for a analog device. Once you start having it do more it seems the installation costs just skyrocket. I'd rather put that same money into a engine analyzer I guess.

The G5 install is going to be much much more expensive than the RC Allen. Look at the install manuals for both.

Back