Questions on Maintenance/Inspection Dates and Transponder Inspection

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

I have been going through the Aircraft logs and Engine logs to get familiar with them. I am making an Excel sheet and have all the Engine and Aircraft ADs written down and how and when they were complied with and then when the recurring ones are due.

I am doing the same for the VOR Check, Annual Inspection, Altimer, Transponder, ELT, and Static System. However, I am confused on when the actual due date is. Altimeter, Static System, and Transponder require inspection every 24 months. ELT is every 12 month or battery expiration. Does every 12 months/24 months mean to the end of the month or is it to the exact day?

Example: Altimeter, Static System was inspected on 10/1/2014. Is it due 10/1/2016 or is it 10/31/2016?

Another question. The guy who owned the plane previously is an A&P and removed the Narco transponder to send out for repair. He reinstalled it himself. There is an invoice and repair ticket stapled to the log as well. He states in the logbook entry, "Installed transponder per NARCO installation manual. OPS checked normal OK for service. He then signed his name with his A&P number. Is this considered to be a transponder inspection? If not I am still okay as the transponder was "inspected" late 2014 so I still have some time to get it reinspected if needed.

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Looks like maybe my questions weren't very clear lol. My understanding is that if the ELT was checked on say May 3, 2016 it would be due by June 1, 2017. Same goes for transponder (but it would be 24 months). Same goes for annual, altimeter, and static system checks.

For instance if the static system and altimeter were due inspected on 10/1/14 this means they would require reinspection BY 11/1/16. Correct?

Still not 100% clear on my second question regarding the transponder though.

Last edited:
It's definitely not an inspection unless it says it's an inspection. Removing and replacing a repaired transponder would most probably require a inspection once the repaired unit is installed in the aircraft regardless of it's previous inspection prior to repair.

Transponder - 24 calendar months under 91.413. So if it was inspected on 10/1/14, you would have until 10/31/16 until it's due for inspection again.

ELT - 12 Calendar months for inspection under 91.207

Give people a break. Many of us sleep at night.

The regs don't say what you say. They say nothing about "every nn months." Read the rules for the inspection. If it says you need the inspection during the "preceding CALENDAR months" then it's good to the end of the month it's due. If it just says "preceding months" or "preceding days", then you go to the actual count the days mode.

91.171 VOR check says "preceding 30 days." That's days. Thirty days ago from today (10/19/2016) is 9/19 (Thirty days has September, April, June, and November).
91.413 Transponder says preceding 24 calendar months.
91.411 Altimeter says 24 calendar months.
91.409 Annual says 12 calendar months.
91.207 ELT says 12 calendar months.

The ELT battery is good to the actual date on the battery (if it only has a month, it's good through the end of that month).

Back