questions for the rotor folks

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
I'm going to add the commercial instrument rotorcraft this fall. Any advice from the experienced helicopter crowd? Also curious about the IFR ops and what special considerations there are for flying a helicopter in IMC. I'm expecting to have issues getting used to approaches in the helicopter. Most of my approach experience has been in aircraft with ref speeds above 120kts. Any advice is welcome... Trying to make a smooth transition into the helicopter that is safe and profitable. :)

I'm going to add the commercial instrument rotorcraft this fall. Any advice from the experienced helicopter crowd? Also curious about the IFR ops and what special considerations there are for flying a helicopter in IMC. I'm expecting to have issues getting used to approaches in the helicopter. Most of my approach experience has been in aircraft with ref speeds above 120kts. Any advice is welcome... Trying to make a smooth transition into the helicopter that is safe and profitable. :)

If you are experienced in IFR operations you will transition to helicopter IFR with no problem. Actually you'll find you aren't even noticing any real difference.

What kind of helicopter will you be training in?

Although, there's a lot higher workload in helos. Unless of course you're in something with a good autopilot. I still remember doing intersection holding in a UH-1H cross-tuning using a single VOR radio and a CDI - elbows and A-holes for sure ! - Collective friction becomes your friend in a big way.

Although, there's a lot higher workload in helos. Unless of course you're in something with a good autopilot. I still remember doing intersection holding in a UH-1H cross-tuning using a single VOR radio and a CDI - elbows and A-holes for sure ! - Collective friction becomes your friend in a big way.

That sounds....like I would royally screw that up. Having done the same operation in fixed wing I'm not sure how you do that in a helicopter.

That sounds....like I would royally screw that up. Having done the same operation in fixed wing I'm not sure how you do that in a helicopter.

Hopefully your training aircraft will have an HSI. Might even be worth shopping around for one that does. You'll have enough going on in a piston powered trainer as it is.

Enroute and approach procedures are the same, although it sounds like you're flying faster, and probably more stable equipment.
I found basic aircraft control to be very difficult in the beginning.
I was very experienced in f/w ifr and was very used to leveling off from the climb, getting it trimmed good, then taking my eyes off the instruments to look at charts, etc. and the helo would almost go out of control. You just can't trim them up, and it was a hard habit to break. You have to fly pitch roll and yaw 100% of the time. little 1/2 second glances away from the panel at a time. Like hovering on instruments. Once you get that, then it becomes easier.

I doubt many helicopters fly IFR IRL (non training) without AP or SAS.

I don't know of many light training helicopters type certificated for IFR. Like RD said above, the big thing are the stabilization devices (SAS/AP) to meet the static and dynamic stability requirements of FAR part27.

I know the SAS & AP combo has been approved for the R44 but not sure how many are IFR certified. Out of all the B407s there like only a handful certified for IFR. Ours has most of the requirements of the STC but quite a few things such as the backup generator and hydraulic system we don't have. We have glass with all the goodies and SAS / AP but still not type certified. Not sure about trim or stability on these little R22s & 44s but I can tell you before we got SAS on our 407, it was a bear to fly on instruments.

Can't really give advice on schools or aircraft since I was military trained. I believe the civilian guys file IFR in training based on 91.205 requirements but aren't allowed IMC. Not sure what speed they fly approaches. Usually I use 100 KIAS.

Good luck to ya.

Last edited:
There are a lot of helicopter flight schools in the US teaching IFR.
Perhaps all of the ones that teach Private (and Commercial/CFI).
However, most of them, AFAIK, don't teach it in an IFR certified machine.

Last edited:
Im adding the instrument because...well why not. The job I'm trying to move into is going to be VFR only in VFR only equipment. Just never can tell when or if the instrument will be needed so I figure I might as well get it while I'm adding the commercial helicopter

I am looking for any advice you guys can offer, not just IMC specific. After re-reading my original post it does sound as if I"m rather worried about the instrument....I do suck at the internet it seems.

Thank you all for the info. Keep it coming. ;-)

If you plan to fly helicopters for a career, then you will eventually need an instrument rating, even if the job is VFR only. It's probably a good idea to get it now if you have the time and money. That way when the job comes up that requires an instrument rating, you'll be ready to jump on it.

One pilot I used to work with described the difference between RW and FW ILS approaches:

FW, if your nose itches you scratch it.

RW, if your nose itches you suffer.

Im adding the instrument because...well why not. The job I'm trying to move into is going to be VFR only in VFR only equipment. Just never can tell when or if the instrument will be needed so I figure I might as well get it while I'm adding the commercial helicopter

I am looking for any advice you guys can offer, not just IMC specific. After re-reading my original post it does sound as if I"m rather worried about the instrument....I do suck at the internet it seems.

Thank you all for the info. Keep it coming. ;-)

If you plan to fly helicopters for a career, then you will eventually need an instrument rating, even if the job is VFR only. It's probably a good idea to get it now if you have the time and money. That way when the job comes up that requires an instrument rating, you'll be ready to jump on it.

Yep, most operators require an Instrument rating even though they are VFR ops. Good advise above, get it now.

Do you guys think adding the CFI would be worthwhile? I know full down autos are required for the CFI but can they be included in the training if all I do is the Commercial instrument? I want to do some to touchdown during training. I'm not too keen on the first time I go all the way to touchdown happening when it is for keeps.

Back