Questions for Qwners

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
After all the research was done. The misson(s) identfied and maybe even a make and model picked out. Did any of you have trouble pulling the trigger on buying? I've been the mentor for a freshly minted PP since before he started training. One of our resent conversations was one the topic of ownership and I think he said he didn't think he could commit to a purchase because of the fear of the unknown.:dunno: It got me thinking so here you have it.

Please keep the laughter to a dull roar....:goofy::rofl:

No trouble at all once I found the right plane at the right price -- not the first time, nor the second, nor the third, nor the fourth.

I had no trouble, but I picked out a plane that I could afford without breaking the bank. Besides, my wife wanted it so who was I to argue?

You have obviously found the smartest guy in the room. Heed carefully.

Have never had any trouble pulling the trigger,did my research and a good pre buy.the aircraft was the one I wanted at the time.As the mission changed so did the aircraft.Only trouble I had was trading my twin when I was downsizing .the only fear I had was if I lost my medical,so I looked at lsa.

No. I did have a bit of hestitation on selling the plane, but was definitely chomping at the bit to buy.

Perhaps you should pose the same question to non-owners.

After all the research was done. The misson(s) identfied and maybe even a make and model picked out. Did any of you have trouble pulling the trigger on buying? I've been the mentor for a freshly minted PP since before he started training. One of our resent conversations was one the topic of ownership and I think he said he didn't think he could commit to a purchase because of the fear of the unknown.:dunno: It got me thinking so here you have it.

When I found a plane I liked, got the price I wanted, did the test flight and GOOD prebuy, I had no trouble at all pulling the trigger

Nope, buddy called me up and told me "You've gotta see this plane" so I did, when I saw the condition I bought it.

Every time!

Each time I have moved up in aircraft I have wondered if I was making a bad decision. Each time I went forward, I wondered why I waited so long.

Abram Finkelstein
N301D

I haven't had any trouble pulling the trigger, but I also knew enough to know what I wanted and have realistic (i.e. low) expectations. I also have made sure to buy planes that I know I can afford regardless of what happens to them and have typically bought at a low price, which probably is part of it. Were I looking at a plane the cost of my house, it might be different.

I've met a number of people who have pause or hesitation. They typically have less certainty in what they want, why they want it, etc. They also are usually buying a more expensive plane that they can't unconditionally afford.

First time buyers it probably is more common to wait than to pull the trigger. Some people analyze more than others. Some might even be superstitious and awaiting a sign.

I bought it after having to drive a couple of times, because all 5 of us could not fit in a 4 place Bonanza.

We made exactly one trip together in the 340.:goofy:

I'm actively looking right now. Have made offers, but not been able to get a deal done.

No trouble at all...I bought a brand new 172SP...before I soloed...

My former wife told me that if I was going to buy a plane..."buy a John Deere not a Murray"...

If the facts are told, SHE pulled the trigger with that comment...

The second plane was a 182...third one a Matrix...all easy buying decisions...

No trouble at all...I bought a brand new 172SP...before I soloed...

I bought my 340 without a multi engine rating.

I figured it couldn't be that hard

Find a partnership - that's what I did. I bought into a PA-28 235 with 3 other guys and if I wasn't going nuts putting hours for a PPL collectively we'd put 150-175 hours on the plane in a year. The more you fly the better off you are...but if you aren't flying that much it's a no brainer to rent, unless you just have the dough to blow in which case I doubt you'd be posting on the subject.

The advantages to getting in a partnership are obvious. The big one is you split the cost of ownership. After a modest buy-in for a 1/4 share (less than a cheap used car) it costs me about $100 a month to have the keys to an airplane that I can use whenever I want. That $100 covers the hangar, insurance and incidental costs - it's not a 'membership' fee. Our partnership is setup as a LLC and we all own equal shares with voting rights, etc... With 4 people we save costs by doing owner assist annuals and a lot of our own work if you can find an A&P who will work with you/sign work off that you have completed. We probably saved $1500 on our annual a few months ago doing all the work - except re-skinning a flap, which our A&P did.

The other thing for me was, the other guys know the plane extremely well and I have the added benefit of learning the ropes about plane ownership from them.

On an average year I'll fly 100 hours. I put pen to paper (well, Excel really) and figured that it just wasn't worth it to go into something on my own. With 4 of us we split duties so it's nice to know that stuff is getting done even if I'm out of town, etc... It's not all on me to get stuff done.

Anyway, just my .02. Flying clubs and such are huge now if you want to go that route. For me, I knew what type of plane I wanted and was more interested in a partnership with a few other folks than having access to 4-5 planes and sharing with 50 other people.

There are a lot of things to consider of course, but I'd strongly consider a partnership with some really experienced folks the first time around. Just do your due diligence and make sure these are people that you can get along with and that you are cut from the same cloth, so to speak. I couldn't have got luckier in my situation - the most experienced guy in the plane has been in it over a dozen years and is a retired airline captain. Super nice guy - will fly with any of us anytime...he's not a current CFI, but who cares...always learn a ton flying with him.

Good luck!

I was VERY nervous when I bought my first (and only) airplane. I've always been afraid of committing to something big. My desire to own an airplane was stronger I guess and I bit the bullet. I haven't looked back since!

I know a couple of guys at my airport who have been "looking" for an airplane for 3 or 4 years, but always have an excuse as to why a great airplane isn't the one for them. I think they're really just too afraid to commit.

Having been involved in the acquisition of 20-odd planes for myself (others were already owned by somebody prior to my buy-in) and a few hundred more for clients over the years, the buyer situations and market conditions can vary signficantly and no single formula fits all transactions.

If the selection is limited to a certain type (1963 Cessna 182) with further restrictions (<3k tt, <1k smoh) or (within 400 miles) or (must have 430W or better) the buyer should expect that the search will take more time than with wider parameters. The buyer should also expect that no airplane will be perfect, so some head-scratching may be required.

Market conditions in 1999 were totally different than in 2009, so timing and availability add another set of variables. During 1999 the only decent King Air B-200 I could find was in Germany. During 2009 a buyer didn't want to make an offer lest the plane be sitting on his porch the next morning.

Bottom line is the buyer must understand the elements and react accordingly. I can't remember ever buying the first plane that was of interest, nor ever being disappointed that we missed the all-time great deal by passing on planes that weren't exactly right. So far everybody who really wanted a plane has ended up with one they like, and some who couldn't pull the trigger still don't have one.

I don't see that this is any different from any other high-end consumer product. The missus is still debating whether she really wants a Vitamix.

I don't see that this is any different from any other high-end consumer product. The missus is still debating whether she really wants a Vitamix.

With my wife, the rule of thumb for kitchen appliances is to buy the biggest and most powerful one available. So when we were considering a Vitamix, I suggested a Blendtec. Aside from normal kitchen items, it's capable of blending cars and iPads, useful for those who like Nexus 7s.

The Blendtec is sitting in our kitchen, and Laurie is very happy with it.

Both kids have VM's, and I always look for yellow-shirt carrier deckhands when they fire them up. I think one of them is reluctant to use full AB lest the dog get sucked in.

With my wife, the rule of thumb for kitchen appliances is to buy the biggest and most powerful one available. So when we were considering a Vitamix, I suggested a Blendtec. Aside from normal kitchen items, it's capable of blending cars and iPads, useful for those who like Nexus 7s.

The Blendtec is sitting in our kitchen, and Laurie is very happy with it.

Both kids have VM's, and I always look for yellow-shirt carrier deckhands when they fire them up. I think one of them is reluctant to use full AB lest the dog get sucked in.

We carry the Blendtec in the 310 as a third engine.

I spotted another old aircraft that was worthy of a restoration.

If the fear of the unknown was a guiding dictum of my life I would never get out of bed in the AM. Not a day ever goes as planned for me. But more to the point of the thread, I had a lot trepidation when I bought my first and only plane, than I have for any of my many car purchases, house purchases, and boat purchases, some of which were magnitudes cheaper than my plane, and others magnitudes more expensive. At this point I spend more quality time with my plane in any given week, than anything else I have purchased. So no fear here.

Back