Questions for professional pilots.

Today I work for one of the largest fractional business jet operators. My Wife flys for a major airline and works job fairs for pilots wanting to get a call for interview from her airline.

If you ever want to fly for a major and earn 6 figs the rest of your life you will need a degree. Having said that, I echo that almost no one cares what it is in. One of the several guys in my interview group came from the Marines. One had a degree in psychology. Another had a degree in "lawn care management". The latter wanted to be a pro golfer before finding the Air Force. Both are captains today at my employer.

I really like the idea of ratings on your own and cheap degree. Many many I work with flew freight / regional while finishing their degree online through Embry Riddle.

Remember your first couple of flying jobs won't pay much. To ease through that transition and get on your way to a real flying job, avoid debt.

I think that's because you had a huge number of hours of logged time in a good variety of aircraft before most folks would be ready to graduate a higher learning institution.

In other words, you done good having access to that 172 of yours and flying it every chance you could get. And then continuing on to get your ratings and fly for Jesse and that survey outfit.

I'm thinking of claiming the over on you reaching 10,000 hours by your 25th birthday.

Nah, 10,000 is impossible by the time I'm 25. 7-8k might be a better number although I am flying much less at my new job (thank the lord)

Knowing the folks that he's working for at the present time, I think it's more that they just don't care about degrees.

What he said!

I'm not working for that company any more. Hell now I'm an instructor pilot at the new job, and (hopefully) soon to be check airman!

Nah, 10,000 is impossible by the time I'm 25. 7-8k might be a better number although I am flying much less at my new job (thank the lord)

I'm not working for that company any more. Hell now I'm an instructor pilot at the new job, and (hopefully) soon to be check airman!

None the less, all that experience will serve you well.

And in some instances, possibly better than the actual sheepskin since what you have is real world versus theoretical classroom.

To the OP, are you familiar with how the post 9/11 GI Bill works with flight training any? Does your state have any education benefits for veterans?

If you were to use the GI Bill for only flight training, you will only get 10,000 dollars per fiscal year.

However, if you were working a degree that has flight training part of it, it will cover 100 percent of your costs plus you will get BAH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered a commissioning program (is there an equivalent to STA21 in the Marines?) and military flight training? Your time in service would count towards retirement, and you could transition to civilian flying afterwards. Plus the flight training is free.

A business degree is not a bad option for a pilot, especially if it is an aviation business degree. The skills you learn can help you in a fallback job, or starting your own business on the side, and will even give you a better understanding of your own finances and investments.

This answer can be extremely winded but short hand it's this. If you want to fly for the airlines you will be subject to the new regulations which require 1,500 hours of flying time. If you go to an aviation university with an approved major/coursework/flight training by the FAA you could find yourself eligible for the 1,000hour or 1,250 hour restricted ATP certificate, which is a lot less than the normal 1,500 hours . That translates into a lot less time time building and a lot of gained seniority in the airlines, which seniority basically means everything in the airline world. Both ways have their pro's and con's but if you have financial means to support it, it may be something you'd really want to look into.

Last edited:
Some of those schools are 200,000 out the door. Go to community college while building ratings on your own. Consider buying a 152. Fly it a lot. Consider leasing it back. Sell it when done. Transfer to traditional 4 yr college for last 2 years while you instruct. Work for regional debt free. Fly 1,0000 hrs/ yr. Go to major. Buy tail wheel airplane for fun. Report back for others to learn from.

Back