Questions for Apple TV users

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
(while I realize that many here would have suggestions for something better than Apple TV, please humor me wrt my question)

I'm considering an Apple TV for my sister. She has a Mac Mini and an older powerbook. She would be using the Apple TV with a (non-networked) HD TV and wouldn't have any use for viewing on mobile devices like an iPad.

I've suggested that she get a DVR, but she has resisted for some strange reason. Anyway, she will occasionally use the cable's free on-demand to watch a show she missed.

1) Is the AppleTV reasonably usable with just wireless (using a later generation Airport Extreme). With some effort I could run copper to where the AppleTV would sit if necessary, but would prefer not to.

2) Is there a reasonably complete selection of current TV shows that can be accessed with the AppleTV? and can the view fast-forward?

While this house is primarily an Apple equipment house, I dispise the itunes model and simply don't use it. Thus, I don't really know much about the video offerings and how useful it would be for my sister's "needs".

Thanks
Bob

I use it with my iPad to mirror Acorn TV, Hoopla, replays of college football from ESPN Channels and viewing photos on my big screen in HD using my wifi network.

Works very well and almost as good as my ROKU box.

Cheers

1) Is the AppleTV reasonably usable with just wireless (using a later generation Airport Extreme). With some effort I could run copper to where the AppleTV would sit if necessary, but would prefer not to.

Yes. A router capable of 811ac provides plenty of bandwidth. Though wired is always the best option and least likely to have periodic connection problems.

2) Is there a reasonably complete selection of current TV shows that can be accessed with the AppleTV? and can the view fast-forward?

Yes and yes. We watch network TV shows the following day using Hulu. Some networks have their own apps. Or if you can bring up the show on an iPhone or iPad, you can usually stream it via AirPlay*. CBS seems to be an outlier, wanting you to pay for "All Access", which we refuse to do. If we have to wait for "The Good Wife" to become available elsewhere, so be it.

Sometimes you cannot fast-forward ads on Hulu, but they have just started offering an ad-free service for an additional fee.

Good source of info on this sort of thing is the "CordKillers" podcast, available on YouTube and a variety of other services, including the AppleTV.

As an aside, our new AppleTV has shipped and we're really looking forward to it.

*Not always. Some service providers block that ability, so you have to watch them on a mobile device. Probably licensing agreements at play, and things seem to be gradually improving, albeit with speed bumps along the way.

It will work just fine on a WIFI connection, no copper needed. The downside to most of the ATV/ROKU/Chomecast stuff is there isn't any sort of "TV Guide", but if you have a specific show in mind you can use the search bar for it and it will find it in each of the app services that carry it. Hulu is one the best for it, but be prepared to watch the same commercials over and over again when you're watching several episodes.

I agree that for her purposes, a DVR might be easier, but this may be an okay solution if she only wants to see missed episodes which Apple/Hulu/HBO carry.

The downside to most of the ATV/ROKU/Chomecast stuff is there isn't any sort of "TV Guide"...

That has been the Holy Grail.

Allegedly the AppleTV has that kind of built into the Siri interface.

Say, "I want to watch Annie Hall" or "Show me Woody Allen movies" or "Is there a new 'Last Man on Earth?'" and you will be shown a variety of ways to watch them - not just on iTunes but NetFlix or Hulu or Comedy Central or ABC.com or whatever. It's what GoogleTV promised but apparently failed to deliver. How well Apple does it remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, Amazon has been reluctant to play ball, no longer offering AppleTV in their store, so that may be one of those aforementioned speed bumps.

Like everyone said - wireless will work fine. I wathch through the Apple TV and when my daughter is home from college, she streams Netflix at the same time, all wireless.
You can fast forward through shows with most apps. I usually turn on closed caption and play at double speed a lot going through opening credits and some of the slower parts of shows.

Back