Questions for Air Traffic Controllers?

Melissa2983298

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Melissa
1. Is it true it is nearly impossible to get a job as an ATC if you didn't receive an aviation degree? (For example, I'm going to college for Mechanical Engineering right now, but I've been considering becoming an ATC). However, I heard that if you didn't go to college and receive an Aviation degree, or studied Air Traffic Control in college, you won't get hired?

2. What are the chances of getting assigned to the location you want?

Thank you very much for your time!

Now that the Feds have screwed everything up, anybody can apply. The aviation degree and field-specific training have been thrown out the window in reference to preferred applicants.

Go for it.

1. Is it true it is nearly impossible to get a job as an ATC if you didn't receive an aviation degree? (For example, I'm going to college for Mechanical Engineering right now, but I've been considering becoming an ATC). However, I heard that if you didn't go to college and receive an Aviation degree, or studied Air Traffic Control in college, you won't get hired?

It used to be that way, however in the last year the FAA changed how the agency selects and hires candidates. Check out usajobs.gov, when the next bid comes out you will apply via that site.

2. What are the chances of getting assigned to the location you want?

Thank you very much for your time!

It depends where your ideal location might be. My advice: if you get a formal offer, accept it no matter the facility. It's easier to certify and transfer facilities than it is to "wait it out."

Good luck.

Degree has nothing to do with it. I have friends working at facilities all over the country that were former military. Don't think anyone of them has a degree. My brother works at a class C airport with no degree as well. He's seen these CTI college grads washout just as much as the former military. One of their best controllers is an off the street guy with no aviation experience at all.

If I was in charge of hiring I'd split it 50/50; former military and CTI. I would ensure all the military applicants had clean records and served at a real base that worked real traffic. All the CTIs would be at the top percent of their class. All the left overs would go to slow contract towers.

Instead we have a system where if you answer some bio questions correctly on some test, you're in. What a gamble and waste of money that is.

Last edited:
I recently met a tower controller at a smaller Class B airport who started out as a secretary at the facility. Then there was an opening, and she was in the right place at the right time, and got hired.

She is the first to say that this isn't the usual way to do it, but it definitely shows that there's not just one way.

Get your engineering degree, it will help to have a backup plan. Remember that this job is not for everyone, and having a CTI degree in ATC won't go as far as an engineering degree.

There is no advantage to taking CTI courses over going to the Academy as an off the street hire. I have seen plenty OTS hires become far better controllers (and easier to deal with to boot) than their CTI counterparts.

Whether or not you succeed as an ATCS will depend on only one thing: you. Study, apply yourself, take criticism (and some ribbing!), and have a good attitude. Those are what will help.

Back