Questions about Ultralight ownership

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
As with certified, exp. and LSA aircraft, there are a variety of different brands with different models, ranging from $10k to over $100k (the Excalibur & some Challenger models with 912 engines come to mind). But for the most part, is ownership of an ultralight more affordable than registered aircraft? And I’m referring to the lower-budget aircraft such as Skyhawks, Cherokees, 2-seat trainers, etc, not an expensive complex aircraft. I realize there is still an expense when it comes to repairs and parts replacement, but I like to think it would be cheaper.

Also, how easy is it to do maintenance on an ultralight compared to an EAB like Vans or Zenith, especially for someone who is a nonbuilder?

I know the answer could vary wildly to these questions depending the brand/model, but for anyone who has experience in ultralight ownership, what are you thoughts?

Please define the term "ultralight" as legal ultralights under Part 103 have an empty weight limit of <254 lbs. and are in reality pretty rare. Any of the two seat versions of the Excalibur, Challenger, Titan, Hawk, Kolb, etc. are all (or mostly all) presently in the experimental category. Most conform to standards to be flown with a Light Sport Certificate.

Ultralights can be vastly cheaper as there is no required training (you'll get some if you have a brain), no registration or annual inspection required either. But the limitations are severe unless you simply want to drone around the local area with a two stroke (some do manage a four stroke), five gallons of fuel, and 55 knot max cruise speed. They can be real fun ...

how easy is it to do maintenance on an ultralight compared to an EAB like Vans or Zenith
I would assume that a ultralight would be somewhat simpler in construction so if you tweek the airframe it would be simpler to repair.
Rotax parts carry Rotax prices. Not car parts prices.
Part 103 you can do whatever you want.
E-LSA you can do the maintenance and with the appropriate training the condition inspection.
E-AB you can do the maintenance, but if you did not build it, you need an A&P to do the condition inspection.

Back