Questions about training and obtaining licenses

Timo1094

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
timo1094
Hello, I'm Timo1094. I just graduated High School and wanted to make a career in Aviation but have no idea what to do because I've tried getting advice from multiple people but they all say different things.

I live in Western Washington, close to Paine Field in Everett. I came here to ask how I should go about getting my private and then commercial pilots license. One person said I should go to a flight school such as Big Bend Community College which has a flight program. Others have said I should be my training locally and not bother going to a flight school. The Community College would cost around $65,000 for my private and commercial pilots license, is that about right?

I need some help here, What are your thoughts on what I should do?

Last edited:
Get a 4 year degree in something not aviation. Obtain your licenses either from the community college (Don't forget that 4 year non-aviation degree too though!) or a local FBO.

Isn't Tom-D up that direction? Perhaps the youngster could earn his flying money helping and learning about mechanican on airplanes.

To the OP: Can you be a bit more specific on what you mean by "career in aviation"? The current choices are very broad and diverse, and aren't just about your sole income coming from the left seat.

I too agree with getting a college degree in something that is diversified from 100% flying. Plus the college you attend might have a flying club that provides flight training at a very competitive cost structure. Texas A&M did when I was there in the late 80's and I kick myself frequently for not taking advantage of it.

One of the first things you can do is research the requirements for obtaining a medical clearance, which is required for certification as a pilot. There are basically three classes, and the 3rd class is needed for a private pilot certificate. Airline pilots need a first class medical.

There are many pitfalls out there, one is having been diagnosed and medicated for ADHD. The other is any alcohol related action against your driver's license. Getting crossways on medical issues can sink your aspirations quickly.

I am simplifying greatly, using basic terminology that is hopefully easy to understand. There is a medical topics forum on this site, you can ask questions there and will receive excellent helpful advice.

Good luck in your endevour.

I would like to become a airline pilot, knowing I probably won't make it up to a major airline I'd like to work for a regional airline or something along that lines. I'll probably end up getting a degree in computer science or become an aircraft mechanic and just get my private pilots license. I really haven't 100% made up my mind yet.

I would like to become a airline pilot, knowing I probably won't make it up to a major airline I'd like to work for a regional airline or something along that lines. I'll probably end up getting a degree in computer science or become an aircraft mechanic and just get my private pilots license. I really haven't 100% made up my mind yet.

There is probably more money in computer science (my field) but they say to do what you love (hey it might be both).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, do you want to be an airline pilot or a computer programmer? If you don't really know what you want to do, it's hard to advise you. Also, why don't you think you could work your way up to a major airline?

65,000 is about 3 times what you will pay if you do it on your own - part 61.
In your own, you will learn what you need for the job: how to make adult decisions.
Get solo'ed, then look to the future.

I echo thoughts of others re 4 year degree.

I followed your possible path. Although I really wanted to be an airline pilot, I pursued computers. Now, I have a great career that generates enough money so I can fly as much as I want.

I also echo the thoughts about the medical. No matter how much you love flying and how good you are, a "surprise" medical diagnosis can end your pilot career in a minute. For me, I am a very healthy, fit 58 year old with one issue that would have ended any flying career.

The 4 year degree will give you a back-up plan, should you choose to become a career pilot.

All the best! This is an amazing career and / or hobby...whatever you want to make it!

Go to Paine Field (or Arlington, or Snohomish) and talk to the flight schools you will find there. Each will give you a wildly optimistic dollar and flight-hour figure, but that's the way it has always been....no one wants to scare away a potential student by telling the truth.

My personal recommendation would be Snohomish...but that might be because I began my career as a flight instructor there back in 1968.

Bob Gardner

That does sound cool. You could reach the top if you just believe it. It feels like the type of career you would have to dedicate many years to reach it, however you won't care about that if you want it bad enough. I've been working on a degree in computer science also which would be great and useful but would deep down love to go for a career in aviation.

I say go for it.

Would choose a route that gets you a degree and pilots lic. At the same time.then you will have an idea of what you want to do in the future.If you are looking at the airlines you can always go to a pilot mill and get all your lic. In a short time then start at the bottom and work your way up the ladder.

Hi, Tim. Download this free 80-page ebook - it'll tell you everything you could possibly need to know to get started in aviation. No signup needed - just click the button and download. - Russ

www.FreeFlyBook.com

Go to college, become a cardiologist, fly when, where and what you want.

Go thoroughly read the "Affordable Healthcare Act" and then one would rethink pursuing a career in medicine. :rolleyes2:

Good point, EDIT: go be a politician, they all come out rich and if you violate a bunch of regulations while in office, the FAA will let you go.

Go to Harvey (S43), that's where I did my training, learn to fly on their Champ (N84842).

After you get your PPL, go buy you a pacer or AA1 or 150 and build your hours up in that, sell it after you get your CPL.

Look into shotgunning your hours with someone else looking to build hours via safety pilot ops (look it up).

You should really rethink your goal of becoming a regional airline pilot. While everything could change, few would limit their career to the regionals. You fly for the regionals in hopes of going to a major. Those that have tried to make a career of the regionals have been disappointed. The regionals own no flying. There is no loyalty between the regional and its major partner. Flying is now regularly put out for bid to the lowest bidder. It's called the race to the bottom.

Go to college, become a cardiologist, fly when, where and what you want.
...and kill yourself in a Cirrus (this being the 21st century -- last century it would have been a Bonanza).

Sorry, Tim -- old aviation joke.

...and kill yourself in a Cirrus (this being the 21st century -- last century it would have been a Bonanza).

Get with the program Ron, it's the tech savvy entrepreneur that's killing himself in his Cirrus :goofy:

It's not your father's fork tailed doctor killer.

And the biggest risk of death in aviation is starvation, which isn't a joke.

a computer programmer can always fly as a hobby or even as a side job instructing, towing banners, whatever

OTOH an RJ pilot will spend most of their time hanging around airports waiting, with the balance spent finding the best deal on raman noodles

if you were my son, I'd tell you to get your college degree and get your PPL during that time. I live in an Air Force town, and there are several JSTAR pilots that live in my neighborhood. There are also a few Delta pilots that live near me, and they were former military.

Go to Harvey (S43), that's where I did my training, learn to fly on their Champ (N84842).

After you get your PPL, go buy you a pacer or AA1 or 150 and build your hours up in that, sell it after you get your CPL.

Look into shotgunning your hours with someone else looking to build hours via safety pilot ops (look it up).

Harvey = Snohomish

Bob Gardner

Get that degree (Computer Science?). WSU is a great place to go. Get your private certificate and fly for fun. If you go to Pullman, Interstate Aviation at PUW has instructors and aircraft. I've flown with them a couple times. Generally better flying weather on the east side of the state, too.

Back