Questions About Making a Private Airstrip in MO

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
Hey guys, I have recently figured out how to squeeze in a strip at my farm in Southern MO (Dent County). While I have done some research, there isn't a ton of specific info on the subject, as it obviously varies greatly per situation. So, in no particular order, here are some more specific questions:

- My property is in the middle of nowhere, so I wouldn't think zoning would be an issue. But to ensure, where would I look for that information? There's noting on Dent County's website regarding zoning.

- There is a small hill at the East end that makes it a one way in, one way out strip. Doing rough calculations, the portion of the runway ending on the hill is approximately 150-200 ft. long with gradient of about 13%. (To put it in practical perspective, I can put my tractor in neutral and get it rolling about 15mph with no power, just the hill.) Is there a way to approximate how A/C performance would be improved?

- There are some power lines that run above the very end of the runway at the top of the hill. They wouldn't affect actual takeoff/landing/go-around operations, but would be above a taxiway/parking area. Would that create any legal issues, or is it more of a "don't ask/don't tell" type thing where as long as there isn't an issue, then the power company wouldn't know or care?

- I would need to put in a culvert to cross a small wash-out/creek (it only has flowing water water when it rains heavily). Approximately how thick should the soil be over the pipes to ensure it would support weight up to light twins? I'd assume if I used corrugated metal pipes or high-schedule PVC a few inched in diameter, 1-2ft. of compacted fill on top would be sufficient.

(My property is minutes from Salem (local airport is K33), Licking, and Montauk State Park. If anybody has some experience operating from small strips and happens to be in the area, I'd love to get your input sometime.)

Any other comments/suggestions/info would be great!

Thank you so much for your help and input! It has always been my dream to own an airstrip, and I'm now very close to fulfilling it.

Last edited:
First of all, you should definitely contact Tom and Diana Richards - Diana's username here is (cleverly enough) "Diana." They have a great little airport (2 runways!) at their farm in Missouri (near Lamar).

Next, while it is not MO specific, this guide, published by the State of Texas! Is a very good collection of useful airstrip construction advice: http://eaa1246.org/docs/farm_ranch_airstrips.pdf

Best of luck!

Nothing stops you from build a private strip on your own AG land.

Personally, I don,t see the attraction of a farm strip and chose to go to a local airport with cheap hangar rent, lights, paved runway, security, fuel, etc.

First of all, you should definitely contact Tom and Diana Richards - Diana's username here is (cleverly enough) "Diana." They have a great little airport (2 runways!) at their farm in Missouri (near Lamar).

Next, while it is not MO specific, this guide, published by the State of Texas! Is a very good collection of useful airstrip construction advice: http://eaa1246.org/docs/farm_ranch_airstrips.pdf

Best of luck!
Yeah, I've met Tom and Diana and have been to a little fly-in there. Pretty awesome place. I figured I'd wait a bit to see if she weighs in here, then if not, send a PM.

Thanks for that link. Looks like there's some great technical info in there.

Personally, I don,t see the attraction of a farm strip and chose to go to a local airport with cheap hangar rent, lights, paved runway, security, fuel, etc.
That's my assumption, but I did run across some post on other forums where people said they ran into some minor zoning issues, even on ag/industrial land.

As I said, there is K33 about 10nm away with IAPs, pavement, lights, and tie-downs, so there is that optional security if needed. My main issue with that is since our farm is just a weekend recreational place, I'd have now way to get from the airport unless my folks are also heading out that way. Sure, it's not extremely practical at this point in my life, but for little effort, the convenience and fun of it is well worth it to me.

- I would need to put in a culvert to cross a small wash-out/creek (it only has flowing water water when it rains heavily). Approximately how thick should the soil be over the pipes to ensure it would support weight up to light twins? I'd assume if I used corrugated metal pipes or high-schedule PVC a few inched in diameter, 1-2ft. of compacted fill on top would be sufficient.

The CPVC culverts seem to work well. Fill on top of the culvert should be at least half the culvert diameter. Ya really don't want PVC for anything exposed to sunlight...

The CPVC culverts seem to work well. Fill on top of the culvert should be at least half the culvert diameter. Ya really don't want PVC for anything exposed to sunlight...
Due to how shallow and wide the area is, I wasn't planning on one large pipe, but rather several smaller ones. While I haven't put much thought yet into specifics, I'm thinking they'll be no more than 6in diameter, and put 5 or 6 side-by-side. This will reduce the amount of digging and dirt-work needed while still allowing for plenty of top soil. From what little I know about the subject, doing so will also make it stronger and less prone to failure resulting in settlement of the ground.

Below is a picture of the creek, and the aforementioned hill and power-lines are in the background. The edge would be where the left tire track is in the picture, and the culvert would extend about 30' to the right. While only about 10-15' would primarily be used/needed for the wheels, that would give a much better margin, should the edges erode quickly for some reason, before they could be fixed. I would clear at least another 20-30' on either side of the strip for wing clearance.

After crossing the creek, the runway would begin to make a slight bend to the left, just to the right of that large split pine tree in the middle of the picture. Attached is a screen shot from Google Earth with my preliminary design.

The trees/bushes in between the end of 07 and the barn in the top-right corner can also be removed to create more of an overrun/parking area, or to get a few extra knots before hitting the main runway. (Eventually that will all be removed to clear the way to the barn to park in, but that's not a top priority.)

Attachments

• DSCN0351.JPG
    DSCN0351.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
  • prelim.jpg
    prelim.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hey guys, I have recently figured out how to squeeze in a strip at my farm in Southern MO (Dent County).
Thank you so much for your help and input! It has always been my dream to own an airstrip, and I'm now very close to fulfilling it.
How cool! I'm excited for you. :yes:

I'm not sure how you get the info from your county (county courthouse?), but you may also want to check on info about your township.

We have a lot of local grass strips on farmland around here, and most of the time, in this rural area, nobody asks permission for anything.

If you want it to be registered with the FAA, that's another story.

If the land is in the Conservation Reserve Program, there are rules about using the land as an "airport" as they used to phrase it. The feds use aerial/satellite photos of property in CRP to intermittently check on compliance and will actually take the money back if it's not being used the way they specify.

We have a big drain pipe at the intersection that you crossed over, but I don't know much about it, so I am probably no help in that department.

Our mechanic put in a grass strip on his farm about three miles from us and he had to do more/bigger drain pipes for his runway. If you're down here again sometime, I'm sure he would be glad to visit with you...he's a really sharp guy.

Hey guys, I have recently figured out how to squeeze in a strip at my farm in Southern MO (Dent County). While I have done some research, there isn't a ton of specific info on the subject, as it obviously varies greatly per situation. So, in no particular order, here are some more specific questions:

- My property is in the middle of nowhere, so I wouldn't think zoning would be an issue. But to ensure, where would I look for that information? There's noting on Dent County's website regarding zoning.

- There is a small hill at the East end that makes it a one way in, one way out strip. Doing rough calculations, the portion of the runway ending on the hill is approximately 150-200 ft. long with gradient of about 13%. (To put it in practical perspective, I can put my tractor in neutral and get it rolling about 15mph with no power, just the hill.) Is there a way to approximate how A/C performance would be improved?

- There are some power lines that run above the very end of the runway at the top of the hill. They wouldn't affect actual takeoff/landing/go-around operations, but would be above a taxiway/parking area. Would that create any legal issues, or is it more of a "don't ask/don't tell" type thing where as long as there isn't an issue, then the power company wouldn't know or care?

(My property is minutes from Salem (local airport is K33), Licking, and Montauk State Park. If anybody has some experience operating from small strips and happens to be in the area, I'd love to get your input sometime.)

Any other comments/suggestions/info would be great!

I had much the same situation with my strip in Texas with a much longer 700 of 2400' on the slope pretty much the same. Made for great short work and I had a long flat descending flyway after for south wind takeoffs, but neither the AgCat nor MM had any troubles on it. Normally I'd be flying before the bottom of the hill.

As for the runway itself I did a lot of work moving rock around tHe property to build some elevation and crown as well as stabilize the clay in the rain. When the grass filled in I spread a bunch of truck loads, 9 IIRC (only $400 a piece) of Red River sand and finish brushed it with a fairway sweeper borrowed from the golf course. It made it an all weather runway and was fairway smooth which was kind of important to me.

Last edited:
I haven't been accused of being clever in a long time. :D

We're still waiting for you to come see us.

I set that up, didn't I?

I will I swear I will I promise someday. And I'll bring chocolate. And Merlot. Maybe I can bring Wayne, too (!).

I had much the same situation with my strip in Texas with a much longer 700 of 2400' on the slope pretty much the same. Made for great short work and I had a long flat descending flyway after for south wind takeoffs, but neither the AgCat nor MM had any troubles on it. Normally I'd be flying before the bottom of the hill.

As for the runway itself I did a lot of work moving rock around tHe property to build some elevation and crown as well as stabilize the clay in the rain. When the grass filled in I spread a bunch of truck loads, 9 IIRC (only $400 a piece) of Red River sand and finish brushed it with a fairway sweeper borrowed from the golf course. It made it an all weather runway and was fairway smooth which was kind of important to me.

A good sandy topping for drainage is very important, depending (of course) upon the ocal soil conditions.

---

Henning: where was your Texas strip, ennyhoo?

I set that up, didn't I?

I will I swear I will I promise someday. And I'll bring chocolate. And Merlot. Maybe I can bring Wayne, too (!).

A good sandy topping for drainage is very important, depending (of course) upon the ocal soil conditions.

---

Henning: where was your Texas strip, ennyhoo?

South of Henrietta, I flew over it 2 years ago, it is UN recognizable from drought and pasture use.:( All that work, oh well.

Here's what little I know, dated and not specific to MO.
Check with other grass strip operators about what turf to use. You don't want a bunch grass but rather something like blue grass. Also, get tips on crowning, drainage and rolling and critter control/repair.
I'd be a little leery of the several small culverts silting in and would wonder if one larger one would stay clear better. PVC will burn if you ever get a hot enough grass fire.
The FAA doesn't care if you have an airstrip unless it impinges on controlled airspace. Talk to them at Regional if you want to register it.
The State of Missouri may or may not care - ask at their DOT.
Counties may or may not require a zoning determination or conditional use permit.
Some localities say, "whatever the FAA says" without knowing that the FAA doesn't say much.
If you ignore everything and just build it, you may get away with calling it an occasional landing strip, but if you put in a hangar and use it regularly, then if neighbors complain who do you deal with? Likely the county. Thus, it may not be a bad idea to see what your county says. Of course, if they say something you don't like and you ignore them, then you have little defense if they come after you.
Don't assume that local airports on the ground now provide much info for you - they could be grandfathered (or ignored) and laws could have changed.
At the bottom, of course, insurance may be affected if you ignore the law.
Your pictures didn't open for me so I can't judge them well, but keep in mind that if you are dealing with navigable waters, you are dealing the Corps of Engineers. Your case probably is not, navigable waters are usually defined as any stream that will float a log any time of year - may people are shocked to hear the COE gets a say on their ground.
If you are dealing with what are defined as wetlands, don't drain them without permission from NRCS or you will get a hefty fine.
Keep in mind that USDA takes pictures all the time and those pictures are available to many people, so don't assume that your project will not be seen.
On my own part, I would not get too paranoid about all this, just suggesting areas for you to consider investigating if you have the interest. Don't assume that if you ignore government that it will necessarily ignore you.

Last edited:
What you really want is a thick thatch creeper that stays low and soft requiring minimal mowing and preserves water.

Jim, couple of random thoughts -
This is not a strip for twins. It is short and rugged. Cubs, Scouts, etc. will do nicely.

Rent or borrow a land scraper and big tractor and begin sculpting the ground to straighten out the humps and that kink. Moving the departure end 'down' and the creek crossing 'up' will give you an almost straight runway. Some of the trees have to go.
Get advice from an experienced excavator. Top soil needs to be moved and piled, then the subsoil scraped and sculpted, then the top soil spread on top. I would put a tile down the rwy center line from each end into the creek to keep the rwy dry spring and fall.. The creek crossing will need to be built up a couple of feet or more.

Have someone lay out the rwy onto a tax description and have that piece registered with the county as a runway. After it is so registered for a few years then the 'new' neighbors cannot shut it down - it may be distantly rural now, but what about in 10 or 20 years? Local fella just went through that when a neighbor contracted to have a cell tower put on his property, directly in line with this guys existing rwy ( there for decades). The cell company wanted the tower bad enough to hire a big name NYC law firm to shut his rwy down. The specific point the judge cited in his ruling was that the rwy was listed on the tax rolls as such and therefore was privileged and protected under FAA regs..

How close is the airport - are you within their airport traffic area?

List the rwy with the State and FAA as Private with prior permisson required to protect you from the inevitable crash law suit by some thrill seeker.

I sat through a presentation at Mt Vernon IL, on putting in a private airstrip and came away with the fact that what is involved legally varies tremendously from state to state.

The novelty of maintaining any large grass surface that requires mowing can wear off quickly.
Yeah, I've met Tom and Diana and have been to a little fly-in there. Pretty awesome place. I figured I'd wait a bit to see if she weighs in here, then if not, send a PM.

Sure, it's not extremely practical at this point in my life, but for little effort, the convenience and fun of it is well worth it to me.

The novelty of maintaining any large grass surface that requires mowing can wear off quickly.

problem solved
images

If you want it to be registered with the FAA, that's another story.

If the land is in the Conservation Reserve Program, there are rules about using the land as an "airport" as they used to phrase it. The feds use aerial/satellite photos of property in CRP to intermittently check on compliance and will actually take the money back if it's not being used the way they specify.

Our mechanic put in a grass strip on his farm about three miles from us and he had to do more/bigger drain pipes for his runway. If you're down here again sometime, I'm sure he would be glad to visit with you...he's a really sharp guy.
Registering it with the FAA is not high on my priorities, but I definitely want to eventually. I know, as a pilot, that I like the peace of mind knowing where good emergency landing sites are, so I'd like to get it charted eventually.

Good call on the CRP. I know my dad has met with them and has some plans for it, I just don't know if it's in that area. Definitely high on my list now to check it out.

I'd definitely like to talk to him if I'm down that way soon. Can never get enough input from the pros.

I understand the importance of all that, but that's a bit too intense for me at this point. To start, I'm just trying to get in a strip that can be very lightly used, and only when dry. Down the road I'd like to make it all-weather and such, but that's just not really feasible at this point.

Here's what little I know, dated and not specific to MO.
Check with other grass strip operators about what turf to use. You don't want a bunch grass but rather something like blue grass. Also, get tips on crowning, drainage and rolling and critter control/repair.
I'd be a little leery of the several small culverts silting in and would wonder if one larger one would stay clear better. PVC will burn if you ever get a hot enough grass fire.
The FAA doesn't care if you have an airstrip unless it impinges on controlled airspace. Talk to them at Regional if you want to register it.
The State of Missouri may or may not care - ask at their DOT.
Counties may or may not require a zoning determination or conditional use permit.
Some localities say, "whatever the FAA says" without knowing that the FAA doesn't say much.
If you ignore everything and just build it, you may get away with calling it an occasional landing strip, but if you put in a hangar and use it regularly, then if neighbors complain who do you deal with? Likely the county. Thus, it may not be a bad idea to see what your county says. Of course, if they say something you don't like and you ignore them, then you have little defense if they come after you.
Don't assume that local airports on the ground now provide much info for you - they could be grandfathered (or ignored) and laws could have changed.
At the bottom, of course, insurance may be affected if you ignore the law.
Your pictures didn't open for me so I can't judge them well, but keep in mind that if you are dealing with navigable waters, you are dealing the Corps of Engineers. Your case probably is not, navigable waters are usually defined as any stream that will float a log any time of year - may people are shocked to hear the COE gets a say on their ground.
If you are dealing with what are defined as wetlands, don't drain them without permission from NRCS or you will get a hefty fine.
Keep in mind that USDA takes pictures all the time and those pictures are available to many people, so don't assume that your project will not be seen.
On my own part, I would not get too paranoid about all this, just suggesting areas for you to consider investigating if you have the interest. Don't assume that if you ignore government that it will necessarily ignore you.
Good things to look into here. I'm not sure replacing turf would be too high on my priority either. For very light use, I'd feel comfortable landing on the existing grass in the field (assuming a bit of fertilization to thicken it a bit).

The creek only flows at most 20-30 days a year, and never much more than a few gallons per minute. I'd think several 6" pipes shouldn't get silted in too much, especially with regular maintenance and flushing before it can build up too much.

Shouldn't be any COE issues, but that creek does flow into another creek about 100yds down, which is the headwaters of the current river. However, that creek is definitely not navigable. Most summers there's not even a puddle left.

What you really want is a thick thatch creeper that stays low and soft requiring minimal mowing and preserves water.
Definitely my goal, but as above, I don't think it's a high priority for light use.

Jim, couple of random thoughts -
This is not a strip for twins. It is short and rugged. Cubs, Scouts, etc. will do nicely.

Rent or borrow a land scraper and big tractor and begin sculpting the ground to straighten out the humps and that kink. Moving the departure end 'down' and the creek crossing 'up' will give you an almost straight runway. Some of the trees have to go.
Get advice from an experienced excavator. Top soil needs to be moved and piled, then the subsoil scraped and sculpted, then the top soil spread on top. I would put a tile down the rwy center line from each end into the creek to keep the rwy dry spring and fall.. The creek crossing will need to be built up a couple of feet or more.

Have someone lay out the rwy onto a tax description and have that piece registered with the county as a runway. After it is so registered for a few years then the 'new' neighbors cannot shut it down - it may be distantly rural now, but what about in 10 or 20 years? Local fella just went through that when a neighbor contracted to have a cell tower put on his property, directly in line with this guys existing rwy ( there for decades). The cell company wanted the tower bad enough to hire a big name NYC law firm to shut his rwy down. The specific point the judge cited in his ruling was that the rwy was listed on the tax rolls as such and therefore was privileged and protected under FAA regs..

How close is the airport - are you within their airport traffic area?

List the rwy with the State and FAA as Private with prior permisson required to protect you from the inevitable crash law suit by some thrill seeker.
Sorry, my "twin" comment was a bit misleading. I'm not planning on operating them from here. I said that as a reference for the aprrox. weight capability I'd need. Light twins are about the weight of the tractor and equipment I'd be driving over it, so I just said twins for the weight reference.

Unfortunately I can't move the runway and still have it long enough. Where the threshold is now, I only have to take down about 10 trees, because there is a small clearing in that area as well. Any farther to either side, and there's large trees off of my property that would be bad. The creek crossing can't be moved much more north, because there is a steep hill that would impede on wing clearance. And if it did straighten out much, it would run under those power lines too much. As much as I'd like to have it straighter, I just don't think it is viable.

I personally have to disagree. I find it very relaxing and enjoying to go out and mow our trails and fields for a few hours every day. When I worked at Spirit Airport, I'd finish my required work as soon as possible just so I could go out and mow. I've also had a lawn-care business for about 10 years. Needless to say, I actually love mowing and maintaining grass. Kinda weird, I know.

problem solved
images
Problem already solved. 5' mower:
544821_1690123294944_1498785748_n.jpg

Trust me, I've been trying for several years. My mom doesn't want them, even tho they're a great, cheap lawn mower, and provide a nice meal when their time comes.

But I don't think they'd be great to have roaming around a runway. Might kinda defeat the purpose of having a landing site.

...except state or local zoning or other ordinances. Best bet is to check with a local attorney who works those issues. Beyond that, unless you want to open the field to public use, it's pretty much entirely up to you to deal with all the other issues you mentioned.

Owning or having access to the mower isn't the problem. It's finding the room-temp IQ to sit on it for hours at a time in order to land on a marginal runway with no services that got 2" of rain the day before you planned to use it and will need mowing again before your next trip in a few weeks that is also iffy due to schedule conflicts and weather.

I've been studying this equation since 1974 for our 290-acre place that has numerous potential runway locations. The local airport is only 2 miles as crow flies but ~6 miles by road. ANFW it makes sense or saves time.

Just start a lawn service instead and make money with the mower.

Problem already solved. 5' mower:
544821_1690123294944_1498785748_n.jpg

Trust me, I've been trying for several years. My mom doesn't want them, even tho they're a great, cheap lawn mower, and provide a nice meal when their time comes.

But I don't think they'd be great to have roaming around a runway. Might kinda defeat the purpose of having a landing site.

Get a fairway mower and be done with the average 3300' strip in under 30 minutes to a perfect finish.

Owning or having access to the mower isn't the problem. It's finding the room-temp IQ to sit on it for hours at a time in order to land on a marginal runway with no services that got 2" of rain the day before you planned to use it and will need mowing again before your next trip in a few weeks that is also iffy due to schedule conflicts and weather.

I've been studying this equation since 1974 for our 290-acre place that has numerous potential runway locations. The local airport is only 2 miles as crow flies but ~6 miles by road. ANFW it makes sense or saves time.

Just start a lawn service instead and make money with the mower.
I do have an instrument airport (K33) 10nm away, so it's only at most a 15 minute drive. As I said, this strip is more for recreation, so if it's unsuitable, I'll head to the pavement.

Looks feasible to me. I put in a private 3000' foot long runway on my ranch in Merna Wy 2WY3.. I went the legal route by getting the FAA's blessing and a conditional use permit from Sublette Co. That was 11 years ago... not a hint of issues with the feds or neighbors .. so far.;)

Edit.... and you think you are out in the middle of nowhere..;)

http://maps.avnwx.com/airport/2WY3

Last edited:
I do have an instrument airport (K33) 10nm away, so it's only at most a 15 minute drive. As I said, this strip is more for recreation, so if it's unsuitable, I'll head to the pavement.
all the same, if it's cloudy but the ground isn't muddy you may think about a route to fly the instrument approach to that airport and then scud run home.

When I was a kid my parent's had a neighbor with a farm strip under the kansas city class B (TCA then). Visiting the folks when I was in college, if the weather was poor I'd fly the ILS 19 at kansas city. If the ceiling was too low I'd just land at MCI. If I broke out high enough I'd make a right turn and land at the farm. If I ran out of clear air between the big airport and the farm I was pre-cleared to continue in a straight line and fly the NDB approach at Ft Leavenworth. It was something the owner of the strip had worked out long before, when they first created the TCA and gave him a cut-out for his farm.

I'm sure the big iron drivers gave each other a few quizzical looks when they heard approach clear me: "twin cessna123 ILS 19 cleared for the option, morelli farm transition, contact sherman tower on the missed"

Attachments

• morelli_farm_strip_platte_city.jpg
    morelli_farm_strip_platte_city.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 34
If you live on the place it might make sense. If not, my fear is that you're falling into the "idealization" trap that is common to recreational activities and that many of us (raises hand) have been susceptible. Some more than once.

You might think about the diameter of your culverts with an eye to debris. If you have any amount of limbs or such moving down in high flow events smaller culverts will block up and possibly create a washout. Just something to think about.

You might think about the diameter of your culverts with an eye to debris. If you have any amount of limbs or such moving down in high flow events smaller culverts will block up and possibly create a washout. Just something to think about.
I was planning on running some chicken wire across just upstream to catch debris. I was thinking two layers, one about 1" and the next 1/4". I'd just make sure to clear it every once in a while. It very rarely runs enough to even float small twigs down, so I don't foresee it being much of an issue.

So I'm going to contact the county (Dent) tomorrow to see if they require anything, but I'm trying to figure out which office I should call, as there is not a general contact number. Admittedly, I'm not too well versed on the structure of local governments. Would It be the county commission, clerk, ect... :dunno:

So I'm going to contact the county (Dent) tomorrow to see if they require anything, but I'm trying to figure out which office I should call, as there is not a general contact number. Admittedly, I'm not too well versed on the structure of local governments. Would It be the county commission, clerk, ect... :dunno:

My first guess would be the planning dept/ building dept.

If it's just for fun, best of luck. If your looking for a practical answer, buy a $1,500 car and park it at the airport.

Might even be able to work out a deal that you provide them a crappy crew car, if they keep it running, and the car is always yours when you are in town.

isn't that the point of most everything we do ?

Yea. I just meant if the landing stip is a means to a fun end.

I would love to own an experimental. I would hate to build one. That kind of thing :)

Dude. You need to make the hill a lot bigger if you want to do this:

http://youtu.be/jeQP-H_31JQ

:D
There was actually a hill about 700' long and about a 40% grade that I was thinking about using. But I'd have to bury some power-lines, and that's just too expensive.

If it's just for fun, best of luck. If your looking for a practical answer, buy a $1,500 car and park it at the airport.

Might even be able to work out a deal that you provide them a crappy crew car, if they keep it running, and the car is always yours when you are in town.
I thought about that too. It's just always been my dream to have an airstrip. I've already said I know it's not really practical. And eventually, I'm gonna build a plane in my barn, so I'd need the strip.

And really, if we all were trying to always do the most practical thing, I most of us wouldn't be in GA.

Last edited:
I was planning on running some chicken wire across just upstream to catch debris. I was thinking two layers, one about 1" and the next 1/4". I'd just make sure to clear it every once in a while. It very rarely runs enough to even float small twigs down, so I don't foresee it being much of an issue.

That will only make matters worse. Leaves and small sticks will go through a 6 inch culvert but not chicken wire. Talk to a local contractor. Buy his time, the insight you gain will be worth it.

Check with Tim Winters, I know he just did one on his place at Marble Hill, MO. Send him a PM with your questions.

Back