Questions about Garmin GI-275 EIS

ISU_Radar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
B. J.
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Garmin GI-275 EIS with GEA-24 module is able to reuse the sensors from existing solutions, namely a JPI EDM-700 and an EI VA-1A? If so, would it even be worth it? I am thinking that if they are, that would cut down a bit on the install costs. Another question is on the fuel gauges. Are you able to use the existing OEM resistive floats and then down the road upgrade to digital ones?

Thanks.

My avionics person says "yes" to the first two questions (the topic came up because the plane in question already had a CGR30p and I questioned the value of moving all that data over to a G3x vs keeping it).

I think I recall reading the answer to the third question as being "yes" somewhere in the Garmin literature. I'll let someone else comment further on that.

following. as per JPI, you cannot use existing connectors and have to get "certificated" connectors. its utter crap, but it is what it is. i doubt garmin will allow it, but again if you can find a IA that will sign it off or the avoinics guy who will sign it off, anything is game. JPI also have a requirement of digital senders for primary fuel

JPI also have a requirement of digital senders for primary fuel

Unless they just changed things, and haven't updated their install manuals and ordering stuff... you can interface with pretty much anything for primary fuel levels... you just have to order it the right way. For example, my T210L has the Cessna PennyCap system, they provide an interface box for it, and I've certainly installed and interfaced primary EDMs to resistive floats as well. From the manual: "The EDM has the capability to process signals from three types of sender signals: Resistive output, Voltage output or Frequency output. JPI provides the appropriate interface hardware (the P5 harness and any associated signal conditioners) based on information you provided when your order was placed. "

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Garmin GI-275 EIS with GEA-24 module is able to reuse the sensors from existing solutions, namely a JPI EDM-700 and an EI VA-1A? If so, would it even be worth it? I am thinking that if they are, that would cut down a bit on the install costs. Another question is on the fuel gauges. Are you able to use the existing OEM resistive floats and then down the road upgrade to digital ones?

Thanks.

I don't have the GI-275 manual at home with me, but the G3X uses the same GEA-24 module, and lists what is allowed to be used with it. This may or may not be the same as the GI-275 interface for whatever reason, but looks like as far as the CHT/EGT they support any type K thermocouple, and they support the JPI fuel transducer. They support a type K thermocouple for oil temp as well, but depending on where it is installed currently for a non-primary system, it might need to be relocated. It would depend on if you have the VA-1A with the built-in shunt or external shunt... the built-in wouldn't work, but assuming EI is using the AA55524 shunts for their external shunts, that would work with the GEA. Fuel pressure, manifold pressure, oil pressure, looks like you would likely need to buy new senders, as I don't believe JPI uses the UMA models that they list for the GEA-24. They also appear to work with resistive floats or CiES senders.

Unless they just changed things, and haven't updated their install manuals and ordering stuff... you can interface with pretty much anything for primary fuel levels... you just have to order it the right way. For example, my T210L has the Cessna PennyCap system, they provide an interface box for it, and I've certainly installed and interfaced primary EDMs to resistive floats as well. From the manual: "The EDM has the capability to process signals from three types of sender signals: Resistive output, Voltage output or Frequency output. JPI provides the appropriate interface hardware (the P5 harness and any associated signal conditioners) based on information you provided when your order was placed. "
interesting, when i spoke to JPI a while back about getting rid of the 830 and put a 900 in, they said well.. you gotto change those senders. ha. o well, i am very happy to 830, but if garmin allows me to keep the connectors i would be inclined to switch at some point and get better data logging in GP instead of fumbling through USB sticks, download JPI data and use their incredibly crappy app to analyze the data

instead of fumbling through USB sticks, download JPI data and use their incredibly crappy app to analyze the data

I have two suggestions 1) Make sure you set your EDM's recording to the most frequent (1s) recording interval and 2) sign up for a free savvy analysis account and upload the data there after downloading. Their visualization capabilities for the data are MUCH better than the JPI EzTrends crap, plus if you have a question you can just copy the URL for the flight and send it to your mechanic (or even post it here) to get someone to look at it.

I know this is an older post but does anyone know if the GI 275 will work with 4 fuel tanks? As in will it display fuel levels in 4 tanks. Looking to put it in a 78 Cherokee 6. I’ve researched and read the pilots manual and can’t find the answer to this question.

I know this is an older post but does anyone know if the GI 275 will work with 4 fuel tanks? As in will it display fuel levels in 4 tanks. Looking to put it in a 78 Cherokee 6. I’ve researched and read the pilots manual and can’t find the answer to this question.

Hi Ben, the engine adapters GEA24 or GEA110 have (4) fuel inputs, and I'm pretty sure you can make them all show as long as other required replacements aren't taking too many slots. Garmin has a priority list of required instruments on the face/page 1 of the instrument. I'm trying to verify if I can have (3) tanks reading MAIN/AUX/TIP currently and I want to put a pair of them in a twin Comanche.

Back