Questions about COPD

U

Unregistered

I apologize in advance if this ends up being a long post;
I have a medical expiring in 5 months. I am guessing I need to get started now on documentation.
In April, I was diagnosed with COPD.

The primary component of my copd is asthma. My last pulmonary function test revealed that I am at the bottom of the "normal" scale. I respond well with a (rescue) inhaler and I am on 2 maintenance drugs, Advair and Spireva. This test was done less than 2 months after I was hospitalized. Additionally, the dr's put me on zyban (sp) to assist with quitting smoking and have been off that almost 2 months. I am off all the steroids but also take Prilosec and Lasix (I rebounded from massive amounts of steroids, they really did step me down fast). I am guessing at some point in the near future, I will quit the Lasix (edema in feet/hands)

I have been told by some I don't have to report; others say yes so, I am in a quandry as to what to do. Do I report all, part, .... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way..... smoke free, 3+ months.

Unregistered said:
I apologize in advance if this ends up being a long post;
I have a medical expiring in 5 months. I am guessing I need to get started now on documentation.
In April, I was diagnosed with COPD.

The primary component of my copd is asthma. My last pulmonary function test revealed that I am at the bottom of the "normal" scale. I respond well with a (rescue) inhaler and I am on 2 maintenance drugs, Advair and Spireva. This test was done less than 2 months after I was hospitalized. Additionally, the dr's put me on zyban (sp) to assist with quitting smoking and have been off that almost 2 months. I am off all the steroids but also take Prilosec and Lasix (I rebounded from massive amounts of steroids, they really did step me down fast). I am guessing at some point in the near future, I will quit the Lasix (edema in feet/hands)

I have been told by some I don't have to report; others say yes so, I am in a quandry as to what to do. Do I report all, part, .... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way..... smoke free, 3+ months.

Yes. I Had a triple bypass five years ago.

I have never has any manifestations of pulmonary disease,
difficulty breathing, out of breath, heavy breathing,
forced exhalations, rales, crickets, or snakes and mice.... ;)

But ....Since I previously smoked for 40 some years....
my cardiologist reported COPD, in my report to FAA.

This required me to go for a "Spirometry" test,

see:
http://www.nlhep.org/spirom1.html

Readings :

Fev1 / FVC lower than 70%, means an obstruction
60 - 75 = mild,
40 - 59 = moderate
<40 = severe

I attained readings of 89 percent. ( I'm in my sixties.)
The FAA required a letter from the Dr. stating that the condition, was stable,
and was not a problematic factor.

Dr Bruce, will confirm this:
Never lie on your medical application!
Sooner or later, when you least expect it,
it will come back and bite you in your Gluteus Maximus..

I got my 3rd class medical. (Special issuance)

Skyraider

Last edited:
Chache said:
http://www.nlhep.org/spirom1.html

Readings :

Fev1 / FVC lower than 70%, means an obstruction
60 - 75 = mild,
40 - 59 = moderate
<40 = severe

I attained readings of 89 percent. ( I'm in my sixties.)
The FAA required a letter from the Dr. stating that the condition, was stable,
and was not a problematic factor.

Dr Bruce, will confirm this:
Never lie on your medical application!
Sooner or later, when you least expect it,
it will come back and bite you in your Gluteus Maximus..

I got my 3rd class medical. (Special issuance)

Skyraider
No kidding.

Why don't you get your pulmonary functions and email me. FEV1/FVC is less than 70% the quality of the letter and whether you are stable or not, have and episodes where you're had to be hosptialized for antibiotics, etc, becomes important.

Thanks, Skyraider and Dr Bruce. I have another test the end of September to see what kind of progress if any I'm making. I'll forward both reports on to you then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back