Questions about ATP Flight Schools

Ltrainstew84

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ltrainstew
Hello everyone,

So this is to anyone who is currently, or has trained through ATP flight schools. Firstly, how did you enjoy the experience? How did you handle financing? By that I mean, if you had a partial deferment of your loan, did you save up any money for the monthly payments? If you are a pilot now with a regional or as an instructor, how are your payments now? Would you say that they are manageable? Do you feel that your current salary is sufficient to pay your payments and live somewhat comfortably? Also, did you feel that there was sufficient employment opportunity for you and/or your classmate to have made it worth the investment? These are quite a few questions but I would really appreciate it if someone could get back to me with whatever you might have to say on these issues. Thanks!

Ltrainstew84

I did a rating there, it's a puppy mill, they will get you through the check ride but they are all lower time CFIs and you're paying one heck of a premium for them and their planes.

You can get things done for less and with a higher level of quality.

Go talk to local flight schools, learn to fly and get your PPL in a glider, get your power add-on in a champ or 7ECA, build your time in a tailwheel or shotgun hours with another guy in a cheap multi, use free lance CFIs who are ATPs and gold seals. It will take some more leg work and phone work to find all this stuff, but you'll be far better for it in both your résumé, your networking and your skills.... Also less $$$ compared to ATP

Blue skies and good luck

Rotten planes with inexperienced instructors for high cost. What's to like?

I guess the only way I'd consider them is if I was in a hurry and I wasn't paying the bill.

If you've got a year to make it happen, I'd find a local school that flies everyday (something that won't scoff at you flying 3-4 times a week).

I'm flying 2-3 times a week and I'm on pace to have my PPL done in 3 months. That's in the crappy weather in the NE as well. And I'm not rushing it or anything. I just show up, fly, go to ground school, and the hours are piling up.

You'll also come out cheaper because you are likely to finish in less hours flying that often.

In 6 months you could have your PPL/IFR (if you fly a ton) and be ready to build time toward the CPL/CFI. Once you get to that point you'll of probably reached it at nearly half the cost of going to ATP, with better training at that.

The days of ATP pushing people through to regional jobs in short order is over anyway. With the 1500 hour ATP requirement you'd have to CFI with them for years to get there. I'm gonna guess working for them sucks anyway.

Thanks so much for the input everyone. Are there any other large commercial training schools that anyone would recommend?

Probably not. Local is best, or move to where you want your first flying job and train in that area. You mentioned financing, don't do that, you'll never be able to afford to work as a pilot with a pilot loan. If you have a good job cut all the BS from your life and spend your money on flying. If you have a crap job, get a crap airport job too. Work from there. Being a line guy will do more for your aviation career then a bucket of Flightsafety and Embry Riddles.

I did a rating there, it's a puppy mill, they will get you through the check ride but they are all lower time CFIs and you're paying one heck of a premium for them and their planes.

You can get things done for less and with a higher level of quality.

Go talk to local flight schools, learn to fly and get your PPL in a glider, get your power add-on in a champ or 7ECA, build your time in a tailwheel or shotgun hours with another guy in a cheap multi, use free lance CFIs who are ATPs and gold seals. It will take some more leg work and phone work to find all this stuff, but you'll be far better for it in both your résumé, your networking and your skills.... Also less $$$ compared to ATP

Blue skies and good luck
I wish someone told me to do something like this when I was first starting out. I would be much better off than I am now.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Ltrainstew - I hope that you do a little more research, because the replies you got here were pure helpless. Do yourself a favor and go visit any place or places that you are looking at. Local or Academies. There is a place for everybody and pros and cons with all of them. They all have Gold Seal Instructors and Master CFI's. Talk to the students and instructors and ask them the questions that are most important to you. Look at the aircraft. Don't rely on false or misleading information. This is your career and a very rewarding one at that.

Thanks so much for the input everyone. Are there any other large commercial training schools that anyone would recommend?

You're in Washington DC? Check out GT Aviation at Potomac Airfield. They're not large like ATP Inc., but they can get you from Private to ATP.

GT is across the field from me at VKX.

Back