QUESTIONABLE E-mail N/A

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I've received several e-mails from something like "Earth Update." I don't know the specifics because I deleted each occasion. Each one was promoting "Update Available."

Does anyone have any information on whomever/whatever it may be, other than spam?

HR(continuing to use the Delete key)

Don't know. I haven't read them, either. And I've gotten them at home and at work.

Being that it IS their fuil time job, the spammers are getting more clever, sending things like fake UPS notices and hiring actual Americans to fix the spelling and grammar. They see the green trend and they latch on it.

Don't click on links and don't open attachments.

With Thunderbird, and especially since the crap is all for Windows I can see what they're doing. I fear for mere mortals.

Thanks for the above responses. As I suspected, whatever "it" is remains worthy of the Delete key.

HR

I get those also along with "PDF Updates" and other junk from the same person(s) about 5 times a week. I suspect if you click on the links in the mail, you will get some nasty disease. Either that, or they are phishing for account numbers.
Delete works best.

I get those also along with "PDF Updates" and other junk from the same person(s) about 5 times a week. I suspect if you click on the links in the mail, you will get some nasty disease. Either that, or they are phishing for account numbers.
Delete works best.

They're taking advantage of security bugs in Adobe Acrobat reader...which are patched again, again, again, in the newer versions.

The last one I got was a .zip file. (Zipping, in theory, hides the payload from virus scanners. Not so much these days.)

Silver Eagle and Mike: Thanks for the PDF information. Earlier, I had posted about having problems getting Adobe Reader 9.0 to download/install(now resolved). And I was simultaneously receiving notices of the PDF Updates which I suspected were attempts to play "tag" with Adobe Reader. DELETED!

HR

See the way I figure it... when in doubt, delete.

If it's a software update, more than likely my software will let me know I need to update and I can go to the website.

If it's someone trying to get in touch with me, there's a reason cell phones were invented.

Not worth dealing with the crap associated with viruses and other malware unless I'm getting paid for it. And even then it's still a PITA.

So to reiterate... when in doubt, DELETE. :D

Silver Eagle and Mike: Thanks for the PDF information. Earlier, I had posted about having problems getting Adobe Reader 9.0 to download/install(now resolved). And I was simultaneously receiving notices of the PDF Updates which I suspected were attempts to play "tag" with Adobe Reader. DELETED!

HR

HARLEY! NO COMPANY EVER SENDS A SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTICE BY EMAIL so, good guess, delete the message

Usually, the software itself will check for an update and prompt you.

You might get a message that there is a new version (to buy). If you're interested, TYPE IN say, Adobe.com and go from there.

I've been getting barraged lately by "CNN Breaking News" and "MSNBC Breaking News" spams.

Bottom line, if I don't know the sender, they immediately get added to my blocked senders list.

Heck, even when I do know them, I'll stick them in junk sometimes! ;)

HARLEY! NO COMPANY EVER SENDS A SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTICE BY EMAIL so, good guess, delete the message

Usually, the software itself will check for an update and prompt you.

Duh! It just occurred to me, just Block that sender, so I did.

HR

Subject: Your Online Flight Ticket N 61524

Hello,

Thank you for using our new service "Buy flight ticket Online" on our website.
Your account has been created:

Your login: nnn@xxxxxx.com
Your password: passIUOJ

Your credit card has been charged for $656.44.
We would like to remind you that whenever you order tickets on our website you get a discount of 10%!
Attached to this message is the purchase Invoice and the flight ticket.
To use your ticket, simply print it on a color printed, and you are set to take off for the journey!

Kind regards,
Alaska Airlines
Again accompanied by an attached .zip file.

So you would think, "WTF? I didn't make a reservation. Who stole my identity? and look at the "ticket" ....and get infected.

I think it's the same guy as who sent the previous .zip, using a dictionary attack to guess the email address.

:mad:

I want a heat seeking missile.

Last edited:
Hello,

Again accompanied by an attached .zip file.

So you would think, "WTF? I didn't make a reservation. Who stole my identity? and look at the "ticket" ....and get infected.

I think it's the same guy as who sent the previous .zip, using a dictionary attack to guess the email address.

:mad:

I want a heat seeking missile.
Verify it by phone with the airline. They should look it up willingly as they wouldn't want fraud under their name any more than you want it under yours.

Back