question

Ok That didn't work. Lets try again. Must one report a visti to a shirnk on the medical if the visit was for marital counseling and issues related to marital problems and not the classical reasons why one would visit a therapist?

If it is ONLY for marital counseling, not substance abuse or a psychiatric condition(depression, suicide ideation, etc) and no drug treatment involved, then---No. It doesn't need to be reported.

Barb(AME)

Re: question (extended)

ok let's take this question a step further - a pilot attends marriage counselling simply to work on the marriage - empty nest syndrome, better communication, etc - all the normal stuff. Nothing else. However, the counsellor very quickly tosses out an off-hand "I think you might be depressed" comment.

The pilot should immediately responds with:
a. "right that down and I'll never come back here"
b. "please tell me (and note) that is not a diagnosis, but simply an observation and you will NOT write that down"
c. "No, I might have some situational sadness which is NOT depression, right?"

Seriously, how does one address this hypothetical situation and keep one's honesty, integrity and medical intact come renewal time?

Unregistered #2 (or U2 for short?)

Unregistered said:
Seriously, how does one address this hypothetical situation and keep one's honesty, integrity and medical intact come renewal time?

Unregistered #2 (or U2 for short?)

BTDT. Read the last chapter in my journal. We as pilots have to choose our health care providers very carefully. The current emphasis on parsing everything and finding the worst interpretation extends into every phase of our lives.

Our best defense is a good relationship with our AME. If at all possible get his/her referral for any doctor visit. If an emergency, your first call is to your spouse followed by a call to the AME.

Neither of the counselor's statements have any impact on your medical. Just don't accept medication. But if you are seeing a pscyhiatrist for that, he/she will be very careful with the words.

And if a Psychiatrist says that, you have a problem. Medical AND aviation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back