Question to the homeowners out there

I have had for 20 years, a recirc pump running continuously at my 1800sf home.
I would do that again; forget the timer/temp controller.
I would be ready to ditch the on demand water heater too.

I use a Grundfos circulating pump with timer and built in aquistat temperature override.
Model UP10-16B5/ATLC

Heated water is in an insulated tank with a heat exchanger coil supplied by my condensing heating boiler. I put in a dedicated re-circ loop. The timer is set to shut off the circulation during sleeping hours and kicks on ahead of when we are up.

OP might be able to install this pump at the far end of the system and use the thermostat to achieve the objective. But it would seem to defeat the primary objective of a tankless system - heating only the water you use as you use it.

Difficult to know what the best solution is given the physical limitations, finished interior, etc., but a supplemental local heater seems more logical than a tankless heater without a dedicated return loop running to keep the line hot. In a reservoir system the loop is returning to the tank and is not mixed with any cold water.

I'd never even heard about recirculating hot water pumps until I met pilots and talked about houses. Ha. Not kidding.

If you add a motherboard to something, it must be better. Right?

Don't they all also need 110v power to fire?

I have seen quite a few that work great when installed correctly but if you are somewhere that is prone to power outages at least with the old school tanks you still have hot water if your power goes out!

But you'd look cool with a tankless water heater.

I'd never even heard about recirculating hot water pumps until I met pilots and talked about houses. Ha. Not kidding.

First time I saw them was on an old episode of "This Old House" probably 7-8 years ago where they added a recirc pump/line with a manual button under an upstairs sink (would take a minute or two, but no water wasted). Yeah, I'll sit and watch guys do expensive renovation work on expensive homes in New England that I'd never consider owning, lol.

Don't they all also need 110v power to fire?

I have seen quite a few that work great when installed correctly but if you are somewhere that is prone to power outages at least with the old school tanks you still have hot water if your power goes out!

We can get it from the bottom of the tank drain in a bucket in a power outage, but the well pump is dead, so you've got about "two flushes" from the pressure tank worth of water flow -- and hot water usually isn't high on the priorities list. Can make more on the propane stove. It's getting water in general that's difficult. :)

About eight seconds after the power goes out, the generator is on line and we got the well pump and the Rinnai back.

What is your electrical service like ? You may be better off putting a tankless electrical unit at that end of the house.
Here is a little video I found...

Lol. A shame that website went out of business. I guess there are limits to the concept of giving away your product for free.

What is your electrical service like ? You may be better off putting a tankless electrical unit at that end of the house.

Lol. A shame that website went out of business. I guess there are limits to the concept of giving away your product for free.
I dont know for certain because I've never checked, but I'm guessing its a 200A service.

But you'd look cool with a tankless water heater.

Same thing was probably said about the idiot that decided to put his commode indoors and plumb the **** out of his house instead of taking the trek in the snow to his tried-and-true outhouse...man, progress, technology, and innovation really suck!

About eight seconds after the power goes out, the generator is on line and we got the well pump and the Rinnai back.

I really need to budget for that and just do it. I kinda also want it on its own propane or diesel tank, though. Or jump the size of the propane tank to 1000 gallons.

If I bought the tank outright (currently leased -- it was that way when we got here and it's cheap) I could also fill in summer when propane prices are lower and shop the fill.

Payback on that is like twenty years though, so I'm not "convinced enough" to buy a tank. Needing a bigger one for a whole house gen set would swing it for me.

Back