Question regarding military helicopter pilot training

nopistons93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joseph Jablonski
Hey all,

I have a general question for you, but first let me tell you my situation. I am currently a graduate student at Clemson University for engineering. I am in the ROTC program here (ARMY) and have a specific interest in mind for doing such,, helo training. I've spoke with my cpt already about my options, chances, ect ect, but I want to hear a little something from a current or recently current military helo pilot.

Basically, I'm aware of the Warrant Officer path, as well as commissioned officer path, and I want to go officer. I do not want to go enlisted with a masters degree in engineering. I'm aware that my flight time would be less than a WO, but I am willing to take that as a hit to stay as an officer.

So with that, is it advised to stay ARMY on this, or would a different branch be better? Currently I'm in my first year of ROTC and have no commitment to the ARMY of any kind. What do y'all recommend for me here? I've also heard the national guard path, in which I can almost be promised a flight spot, and am still considering that as well. I'm based here in SC, but I live in NJ when not in school.

Thanks in advance guys!

Have you looked at the USCG? Great helo training and some great jobs. Lots of flight time and seldom do people shoot at you.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the USCG? Great helo training and some great job. Lots of flight time and seldom do people shoot at you.

If you want to fly helos - definitely look into the CG - they have been seriosuly looking for pilots in recent years.

Problem may be if he has already signed a commitment to the Army, he may be tied up for the next 6 years or so. I think after 2 years in a 4 year program one is commited to service in order to continue the last 2 years of ROTC. I'ts been a while since I explored this route (almost 11 years, sheesh!) but I think that's how it was when I was looking at the ROTC route.

Problem may be if he has already signed a commitment to the Army, he may be tied up for the next 6 years or so. I think after 2 years in a 4 year program one is commited to service in order to continue the last 2 years of ROTC. I'ts been a while since I explored this route (almost 11 years, sheesh!) but I think that's how it was when I was looking at the ROTC route.

You would be right bill, however, I stated that I have just signed up with ROTC and this is my first year (first 2 years are no commitment) B). Coast guard sounds like a pretty damn good option. To tell you the truth, I just want free pilot training and to be able to get out of the military and fly police, private, ect ect

Yep, totally missed that part. With your goal of flying post-military, the way I have understood the system is that many Army Aviators do not accumulate enough PIC in the minimum commitment to make themselves competitive in the outside world. Remember that you will spend a few years as a co-pilot logging TT, but not the ever so valuable PIC. This is a dilema many USAF pilots face when coming to the end of their initial commitment. To get out with what they have(~2500TT, but only half that is PIC) or stick it out to 20 and hit the commercial world with much more experience.

You would be right bill, however, I stated that I have just signed up with ROTC and this is my first year (first 2 years are no commitment) B). Coast guard sounds like a pretty damn good option. To tell you the truth, I just want free pilot training and to be able to get out of the military and fly police, private, ect ect

If those are your goals, I would say the Coast Guard is definitely your best bet - plus you'll get both serious LE and SAR training.

May be different now. It has been 20 years since I looked into to it.
I did 3 years ROTC and was already in the Army Reserve. I was given a chance to opt out of the ROTC and decided to take it as I had just finished my CFI Airplane rating and had figured out that I was much more likley to end up driving a tank than flying. I figured I would take the sure thing and spend my time flight instucting, I haven't ever regretted that decision. Even if I had been selected for flight training it seems to me like it was more likely I would be flying a desk most of the time and only flying the helicopter about once per month to stay current.

Keep in mind if you can find an Army Aviation Officer that is currently doing this, they can give you a lot better 1st hand experience than I can.

If you want fly the Warrant Officer route is a much better route. I do have a freind that just completed Flight School and is flying BlackHawks in the reserve now. PM me and I could probably get you in touch with him if you are interested in his perspective.

For the ROTC route, when I was doing it you pretty much had to be top of the ROTC class and a natural leader to have any chance of getting to flight school. Again this was 20 years ago and they may be more desperate for officer pilots now.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I hate hearing that. You should go in the service because you want to do that job. Remember this, even USCG helo crews die in service. You really need to be committed to the job we are paying to train you for and give us our moneys worth.

I hate hearing that. You should go in the service because you want to do that job. Remember this, even USCG helo crews die in service. You really need to be committed to the job we are paying to train you for and give us our moneys worth.

Thanks Henning. I was thinking pretty much the same thing, although I do give the OP credit for honesty.

However, you may find that being a USCG helo pilot is a pretty good gig. All the ones I knew positively loved it. My impression was that it would have taken a crowbar to get most of them out of the job. Good pay, interesting and exciting work, great benefits, retirement at an age still young enough to pursue a civilian flying career, and as others have mentioned, there usually isn't anyone shooting at you.

I'd look into it. It's the route I wish I'd taken when I was your age. I'd be retired now... sigh...

-Rich

Back