Question re fate of USMC serviceman

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Hi

A friend from high school grew up not knowing her dad. He allegedly died on a flight in November 1962 while in service with the USMC. He was a Lt. Her mom who was pregnant with her, moved back to Canada to be with her family.

How if possible can she find out what happened? Is there a way to search records online?

Thanks.

She says somewhere in California or iff of coast. She really doesn't know details and her mom has never really told her. She was born 5 months after his death. She does have pictures of him and a picture the the leather wing badge with his name. Apparently he died in November 1962.

The possibility exists she left him and told her he was killed. These kind of things can get real ugly. Make sure you know going in that ugly things may happen. Stories like this rarely end well.

As a surviving dependant of a deseased service man you would think the mom would have applied for and recieved death benefits and SS. To not know more info is a huge red flag, IMHO.

The first thing I would do is question the mom more. To simply have moved after the death of her husband killed in a service related accident and not tell her daughter about it is really strange.

Last edited:
He and her 2 siblings did receive SS benefits. I remember them saying that when we were in high school in Winnipeg. We were all friends. I couldn't understand it.

He and her 2 siblings did receive SS benefits. I remember them saying that when we were in high school in Winnipeg. We were all friends. I couldn't understand it.

Question the mom for more facts.

She just messaged me. He was buried in San Diego, November 1962. She just doesn't know what happened on that flight. She knows where he is laid to rest etc.

Online no, but the she can request them from NARA. Warning: it is VERY slow. I'm still waiting on some that I requested (can take like two months).

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

Fortunately, the Corps records are largely intact. A fire wiped out a good deal of the Army records back in 1974

Back