Question re Approach Frequency – AFD versus Chart

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
I get confused by this apparent discrepancy…. (chart below).

If I were departing Ramona to the north and I wanted to get flight following after takeoff, would I contact SoCal on 127.3 as listed in the current AFD, or on 120.05 as shown in the nearby communication box on the current San Diego TAC?

Note that the TAC also has a communication box with 127.3, but it’s way off to the West, over the ocean.

Does AFD trump chart?

Would it work just fine if I used either one?

Asking a slightly different question, if I arranged for flight following with Ramona Ground, which frequency would Ramona Tower transfer me to?

Thanks!

Ramona_SoCal_Frequencies_AFD_versus_TAC.jpg

Last edited:
Ask tower for flight following when you call for taxi, they should be able to have a squawk and freq for you before departing. They will want to know your direction of flight.

My guess would be 127.3

If you're departing a tower-controlled airport, just ask the tower -- they know what frequency to give you. Otherwise, remember that the data on even a current sectional chart may be over six months old, but the current A/FD's data are at most 56 days old.

I get FF all the time and try to write down the ones I think I will need along my route using sectionals, low enroute charts, afd and Foreflight. It never fails, half are different when enroute. That is okay though, because it usually gets me to someone that knows who I need to call. I do believe there are a lot of unpublished freqs out there. ATC on this past weekends trip were super. Have fun.

My observation is that neither the A/FD nor the charts will necessarily have correct information on the frequency actually in use. If you call the published frequency and it's not the right one, they will tell you what frequency to call.

Thanks all. I do need to record the frequency I think I will use on my nav log (sounds like AFD is best for that exercise), but will just go with the flow if it ends up being different.

ATC changes freqs on a regular basis always better to ask the tower for flight following so they can give you the current freq.I usually use the chart when I am entering controlled airspace and have been flying without ff.

If you're at a towered airplort, setting up FF with Ground Control or Clearance Delivery is of course The Right Thing.

re frequency ambiguity, TRACONs use multiple frequencies. For my nearby Bravo, I know of five frequencies that they use. Each corresponds to a sector and, when things are busy, each sector is worked by a different controller. When things are quieter, sectors are combined and one controller might work two or three.

To list and explain all those frequencies in the AF/D or on a chart would probably cause more confusion than illumination. But if you get a frequency from printed material, it will be a good frequency as far as making contact. Then, if the controller you reached is not the one to work you he/she will give you a change. Very friction-free.

The same thing can happen with ARTCC frequencies that you might get on a GPS "Nrst ARTCC" page. The one you get may not be the right one, but someone will answer your call and will switch you to the right sector if necessary. Again, friction-free.

All that said, IMO the right place to be getting callup frequencies is from a current approach plate for your destination. It doesn't matter if you're IA rated or not. The frequencies on the approach plate are current and all gathered together for you on the data strip at the top. Download paper or carry them electronically. It doesn't matter.

Back