Question re: Airspace Depiction on Sectional

TedR3

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
I know this is pretty basic, but here it goes:

I know that airspace within the magenta fade lines on a sectional is Class G to 700' AGL and then Class E.

But what about on the outside of the magenta fade lines (like where the ETX VOR or the former Kutztown airport are located on the attached sectional excerpt)?

I've always assumed it was Class G to 1,200' AGL and then Class E. Am I correct?

The Sectional legend says "Class E airspace exists at 1,200' AGL unless otherwise designated as shown above".

Otherwise would the Class E around the Victor Airways have to be depicted (like I see on Sectionals for Arizona for example), right?

Attachments

• Airspace1.jpg
    Airspace1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 60
I'm guessing this is related to the Checkride question? Looks like you're correct!

Many years ago there was a blue vignette everywhere the controlled airspace (class E) floor changed to 1200 (just like the current pink for the 700 foot transition area).
They decided that was unnecessary clutter. Now you only see the blue vignette when it abuts airspace that's uncontrolled up to the bottom of the continental control area (14,500').

We have some of that blue space out here---- The class G up to the CCA

Last edited:
We have a lot of that blue space, plus Class G up to the Continental Control Area.

Back