Question on PTT switch

RickC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RIckC
I've got a 1964 172E and will soon begin instrument training in it. The right seat has a PTT button built into the panel, but I figured it would be easier for the instructor to have one on the right seat yoke, so I got one of these Pilot USA PA-50 PTT switches. I tried it out today and the only place that it works is in the left seat. I tried in in all 4 sets of jacks, front and back, and with different headsets. I have a PS engineering PM1000 intercom. Anyone know what is causing this? Not a huge deal since I have the PTT in the panel but I would like to have it operational if it doesn't take rewiring a bunch of stuff.

External ptt switches usually have to be modified to work with intercoms. The issue is that the switch, when depressed, interrupts the output on the mic ring terminal to anything other than the radio com... You won't be able to hear yourself talk nor will anyone else on the intercom, although you should still be transmitting OK. The solution is to modify the switch. It's not difficult to do if you're handy with a soldering iron and, depending upon the switch, have good eyesight and a steady hand. I recently did one for my CFI. The process is described in various intercom installation manuals.. PSEngineering, Flightcom, etc. If you need further help, reply and I'll post a schematic of what needs to be done.

External ptt switches usually have to be modified to work with intercoms. The issue is that the switch, when depressed, interrupts the output on the mic ring terminal to anything other than the radio com... You won't be able to hear yourself talk nor will anyone else on the intercom, although you should still be transmitting OK. The solution is to modify the switch. It's not difficult to do if you're handy with a soldering iron and, depending upon the switch, have good eyesight and a steady hand. I recently did one for my CFI. The process is described in various intercom installation manuals.. PSEngineering, Flightcom, etc. If you need further help, reply and I'll post a schematic of what needs to be done.

Awesome. I'm not particularly adept at soldering but I do have the tools and can probably manage with the right instructions. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thx

Here's a snip from the manual for a Flightcom 403mc.ptt rewire.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I did find on the PS website the install manual which had specific instructions for Telex and DC switches. Hopefully between that and this I can figure out what to do. I appreciate the help.

For your IR training just show the CFII where the PTT is. He shouldn't be ACTUALLY flying the plane much while you're getting your learn on, and you should be getting his voice off the radio reasonably quickly. No need to equip for it.

Put that thing back in it's box and get a refund.

Happy to help. If you don't feel comfortable doing it and can't find anyone local to do it,I'd be happy to make the mod for you no charge, as long as you provide a paid-shipping box. Feel free to message me if you wish.

For your IR training just show the CFII where the PTT is. He shouldn't be ACTUALLY flying the plane much while you're getting your learn on, and you should be getting his voice off the radio reasonably quickly. No need to equip for it.

Put that thing back in it's box and get a refund.
Yeah, thought about that but it was only $20 and it'll cost me half of that to ship it back so I figure I'd just keep it.

Back