Question on pre-diabetes

Blindrage

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Blindrage
So this is for the knowledgeable guys, or better yet if Dr Bruce could chime in.

My wife was thinking about getting flight training since I just finished my PPL, and my brother is as well. Both of them are in the same boat with this question.

Both have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Neither of them are actualy diabetic at this point, and neither of them are taking meds. My brother's doc is thinking about putting him on Metforin (spelling?) to help preserve his pancreas function to produce insulin even though he is only in the pre stage.

I know actual diabetes or insulin use is a huge deal with the FAA, but neither actual has diabetes at this point. Is it the diagnosis that the FAA will freak out about, or will the simple use of Metforin in the pre-diabetes stage be an issue?

If it helps for those doctor types on here, both of their A1C numbers are below the 6.4 cutoff.

I think they Have to do CACI PRE-diabetes work up on case by case basis. No simple answer.

Recommend they individually talk to someone like Dr. Bruce offline.

Pre-Diabetes is the warning stage that shouldn't be ignored...

Advise them to follow their doctor's advice, including lifestyle changes like better nutrition and more exercise. There may still be time before it's full blown....

From an aeromedical certification standpoint, CACI may still be available to them if they can present with an A1C of 6.5% or lower, and a fasting blood sugar of 125 or less.

But the big takeaway needs to be, HEALTH FIRST, FLY LATER.

I am actually interested in this question in this sense... Is pre-diabetes even a diagnosis? Is pre-hypertension a diagnosis? Is it reportable? I have no clue, but it doesn't seem like a "diagnosis" any more than my dentist telling me that I have a watch on one of my teeth, but not an actual cavity that needs drilling. I guess, once metformin is prescribed then that's an easy call cause you have to disclose your meds, but I am interested from those who know...Is a "pre-diagnosis" a diagnosis?

I am actually interested in this question in this sense... Is pre-diabetes even a diagnosis? Is pre-hypertension a diagnosis? Is it reportable? I have no clue, but it doesn't seem like a "diagnosis" any more than my dentist telling me that I have a watch on one of my teeth, but not an actual cavity that needs drilling. I guess, once metformin is prescribed then that's an easy call cause you have to disclose your meds, but I am interested from those who know...Is a "pre-diagnosis" a diagnosis?

Yes it is. Read this and see what the FAA thinks about it:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...es/aam/ame/guide/media/c-cacipre-diabetes.pdf

if controlled ... piece of cake. Thousands upon thousands fly with this Dx.

Is this like being pre-pregnant?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back