Question on MEDS

U

Unregistered

Doc,
These are my current meds...any a bar to passing physical?
ACTOS 30MG 1X
glyburide 5 MG 2X2X
Nadolol 40 MG 1X
Fursoemide 40MG 1X
Lanoxin .25 1X
Prednisone 5MG 1X2X
MedFormin 1000 1X2X
Asprin 325 1X
EPIPEN...When needed

Allegeries: Bee venon/sulfamethoxaxole W-trimethoprim

I'm sure you know what I mean with the 1X...2X but just in case....1X (one dose), 2X twice a day.

If possible could you reply to djansen@wildblue.net

Thanks very much for your service to this group, it is appreciated!!

Perhaps Bruce can figure out what the underlying condition(s) requiring those meds is/are based on what you're taking, but keep in mind that the FAA is at least as concerned about the underlying condition(s) as they are about what you're taking. And I'm guessing from the long list that it isn't just the allergies.

Doc,
These are my current meds...any a bar to passing physical?
ACTOS 30MG 1X
glyburide 5 MG 2X2X
Nadolol 40 MG 1X
Fursoemide 40MG 1X
Lanoxin .25 1X
Prednisone 5MG 1X2X
MedFormin 1000 1X2X
Asprin 325 1X
EPIPEN...When needed

Allegeries: Bee venon/sulfamethoxaxole W-trimethoprim

I'm sure you know what I mean with the 1X...2X but just in case....1X (one dose), 2X twice a day.

If possible could you reply to <snip>
Thanks very much for your service to this group, it is appreciated!!

Dennis,

The meds aren't the real issue, the diabetes, congestive heart failure and hypertension that they treat are. And the COPD if thats what the steroids are for..

They will be looking at the big picture, not just the script list.

And if you are trying to conceal your identity as an unregistered guest, try not to use the same email as your other posts..

Last edited:
Dennis,

The meds aren't the real issue, the diabetes, congestive heart failure and hypertension that they treat are. And the COPD if thats what the steroids are for..
Doggtyred got it exactly right.

These will require:

Echo
Stress Treadmill with SaO2 desaturation measurements.
Pulmonary Functions
HbA1c
MD testimony as to your lack of peripheral endorgan problems from diabetes.

Doggtyred got it exactly right.

These will require:

Echo
Stress Treadmill with SaO2 desaturation measurements.
Pulmonary Functions
HbA1c
MD testimony as to your lack of peripheral endorgan problems from diabetes.

Now... all that being said, as long as you've not been DENIED an FAA medical (as in, havent applied in order to be turned down), and are healthy enough to operate a motor vehicle, Light Sport is an option.

The aircraft are one or two seats, have lower speeds, lower power and lower payloads, but you are flying.

Even if denied there are gliders, balloons, all manner of ultralights, hanggliders, paragliders, and skydiving. I love America.
Now... all that being said, as long as you've not been DENIED an FAA medical (as in, havent applied in order to be turned down), and are healthy enough to operate a motor vehicle, Light Sport is an option.

The aircraft are one or two seats, have lower speeds, lower power and lower payloads, but you are flying.

Assuming, of course, that the medical issues do not make it unsafe to act as PIC of an aircraft. The FAA recomends consulting with your family physician.

Having said that, LSA is a great option.

By the regulation, you have to be healthy enough to operate a light sport aircraft safely, and that may well be a more demanding test than operating a motor vehicle. The reg reads much the same for the other categories mentioned above. Review the Federal Air Surgeon's guidance on such matters with your physician before flying anything not requring a medical certificate.

By the regulation, you have to be healthy enough to operate a light sport aircraft safely, and that may well be a more demanding test than operating a motor vehicle. The reg reads much the same for the other categories mentioned above. Review the Federal Air Surgeon's guidance on such matters with your physician before flying anything not requring a medical certificate.

I have mixed feelings about the "Driver's License Medical."

On the one hand, I guess it's a regional sort of thing, but I find driving a car in the NYC Metro Area to be much more physically challenging and (at times) psychically stressful than any flying I've ever done. Driving a truck multiplies both several times over.

There's an exit close by my house that scares me so much -- and I don't scare easily -- that I studiously avoid it in favor of the next further one. The few times I used it before I swore it off, I was positively amazed that there weren't fatal crashes there every day. It really is that bad. It is an expressway exit that combines every possible bad feature of an expressway exit, all conveniently rolled into one. I think it must have been designed by the engineering firm of de Sade and Dumas.

I can't say it's the worst exit in the world, because I haven't seen every exit in the world. But it's certainly the most harrowing exit I know of, and the only one I studiously avoid. In fact, I think that the ability to negotiate this particular exit three consecutive times during rush hour -- and surviving -- should be considered an alternate means of satisfying the medical requirement for any class of certificate.

Then again, there are places in this country where one can drive for hours and neither move the steering wheel nor encounter another vehicle, so straight and lonely on the roads. In places like those, I wonder if holding a non-CDL driver's license proves anything at all other than that the holder isn't completely blind, and still has enough presence of mind to find his or her way to the DMV every four years or so.

I say "non-CDL" because CDL holders are required to have medical certificates. DMV actually asks to see them now every time we renew, or else they put a limitation on the license that makes it essentially useless. I don't use my CDL very often any more, but I still keep it up (along with the medical) as a "just in case" sort of thing.

-Rich

Hey, just wondering which exit you're talking about.

The 20th Avenue exit off the Van Wyck expressway:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q....781776,-73.825142&spn=0.006987,0.013282&z=16

It looks harmless, but it's deceitful and treacherous. If you have to make the right turn onto 20th Avenue, you have to cross three lanes of traffic on the service road in about 500 feet, while that traffic is trying to move left to get on the entrance ramp. There are also several commercial buildings and hotels with driveways along the service road (including, ironically, the E-ZPass center). It's a horrid, evil exit.

-Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back