question on home generator/electrical

And pray tell, where do you find corn-free mogas?
Locally in Florida, RaceTrac and Wawa both have those as options. Cost's more than Premium gas usually.

What is a Stewarts, a Mirabito, a RaceTrac, or a Wawa? I'm in the other corner of the world. We don't HAVE cornless mogas, not that I can find.

Jim

You probably can’t get it in California.

We have it here at multiple outlets now but for a while we could only get it at the racing fuel place.

Maybe you can get it at one of those there. Check with local car clubs.

You probably can’t get it in California.

We have it here at multiple outlets now but for a while we could only get it at the racing fuel place.

Maybe you can get it at one of those there. Check with local car clubs.
I live a block south of the airport and am there almost every day. The local aficianados and dragsters all come up to the airport for 100LL.

On race day at the fairgrounds the lines are 8 and 10 deep with jerry cans.

Jim

What is a Stewarts, a Mirabito, a RaceTrac, or a Wawa? I'm in the other corner of the world. We don't HAVE cornless mogas, not that I can find.

Jim

Stewart's is one of the original gas station / convenience store combinations. Better sandwiches and food than most, but still nothing to write home about. The coffee's decent enough. They sell ethanol-free mogas of (I believe) 94-octane.

Mirabito is a local gasoline /kerosene / oil / propane chain that also has Subway shops in many of their stores. They have 90 or 91-octane ethanol-free mogas.

RaceTrac I have never heard of.

WaWa is a convenience store / sandwich shop / convenience store chain whose stores usually have gas pumps out front. Their logo is a bird (I think it's a goose). They're big in New Jersey. I don't believe I've seen one anywhere else. Maybe Philly, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Rich

Stewart's is one of the original gas station / convenience store combinations. Better sandwiches and food than most, but still nothing to write home about. The coffee's decent enough. They sell ethanol-free mogas of (I believe) 94-octane.

Mirabito is a local gasoline /kerosene / oil / propane chain that also has Subway shops in many of their stores. They have 90 or 91-octane ethanol-free mogas.

RaceTrac I have never heard of.

WaWa is a convenience store / sandwich shop / convenience store chain whose stores usually have gas pumps out front. Their logo is a bird (I think it's a goose). They're big in New Jersey. I don't believe I've seen one anywhere else. Maybe Philly, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Rich

Wawa has expanded into Florida in a big way. RaceTrac is a Southeast chain similar but with less freshly made food.

We have it all over the place here. Of course, we're on a large lake (if you believe the Orange one, the largest in North America).

Ironically enough, ethanol-free gas (aka uncontaminated gas) is readily available in Iowa.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

My house is about equidistant from five different airports, and one of them has a Mogas pump. I go there to fill up the cans for my tractor. I'm in the group of counties surrounding Milwaukee that requires ethanol in all the car gas, so it's the closest place to me with ethanol-free gas. I'll also sometimes grab some a couple counties over if I drive to see my parents instead of flying.

Ironically enough, ethanol-free gas (aka uncontaminated gas) is readily available in Iowa.

Iowans ain't dumb by any means. They're very practical people... You'll also find that pretty much every station in the state has both 87 octane ethanol-free and 89 octane ethanol-required for the same price, which leads me to believe it's state mandated to be that way.

If you do manage to find a station that sells corn-free-gas, fill up your car's tank first to clear the pump before filling any gas cans. It's very unusual for there to be separate pumps.

Rich

If you do manage to find a station that sells corn-free-gas, fill up your car's tank first to clear the pump before filling any gas cans. It's very unusual for there to be separate pumps.
I suspect a gallon would be more than enough. Some of our stations use separate (but integrated) hose/pumps for the E0. One station I have to keep an eye out because some pumps have the separate hose for diesel, some for E0, and some for E85.

In NE Ohio, we're fortunate that the Marathon stations have E0 93 octane in a separate pump. It's all my small engines are fed. Everything starts great in the Spring without stabilizers.

Jim

Around here, I have to travel outside the counties that surround DC (the counties with emissions problems) but once I do, it can be had. I go to a Liberty station in Winchester, VA, but there's also a place in Front Royal and in other places up and down the Shenendoah Valley.

I suspect a gallon would be more than enough. Some of our stations use separate (but integrated) hose/pumps for the E0. One station I have to keep an eye out because some pumps have the separate hose for diesel, some for E0, and some for E85.

Yeah, a gallon would probably do it. I usually fill up because it saves another gas stop, and the MPG improvement partially offsets the higher price. The point is that what first comes out of a shared pump / hose usually is not E0 unless that's what the guy in front of you bought.

Rich

You might be lucky and not have ethanol in your auto gas. My gas mileage went up and I found the gas in this area doesn't have ethanol in it. Because the ethanol is more expensive than real gas. The added benefit is we do not have the pollutants of the ethanol distillation.

Yeah, a gallon would probably do it. I usually fill up because it saves another gas stop, and the MPG improvement partially offsets the higher price. The point is that what first comes out of a shared pump / hose usually is not E0 unless that's what the guy in front of you bought.

Rich

The Maverick stations here are surprisingly using separate pumps and hoses.

You might be lucky and not have ethanol in your auto gas. My gas mileage went up and I found the gas in this area doesn't have ethanol in it. Because the ethanol is more expensive than real gas. The added benefit is we do not have the pollutants of the ethanol distillation.

90-Octane or higher E-0 gets me a nearly 11 percent improvement over 87-Octane E-10.

Part of that is because of the octane. Even 89-Octane E-10 gives me about a 5 percent improvement, presumably because the engine doesn't have to retard the spark and enrich the mixture as often going up the hills, and also because I can take them in a higher gear. The rest of the improvement is due to the higher energy density of gasoline compared to ethanol.

Several of my more-common destinations are about 400 miles round trip. I try to fill up with E-0 when starting those trips because I'm certain to be able to get back home without stopping for gas. With E-10, it's borderline.

Rich

90-Octane or higher E-0 gets me a nearly 11 percent improvement over 87-Octane E-10.

Part of that is because of the octane. Even 89-Octane E-10 gives me about a 5 percent improvement, presumably because the engine doesn't have to retard the spark and enrich the mixture as often going up the hills, and also because I can take them in a higher gear. The rest of the improvement is due to the higher energy density of gasoline compared to ethanol.

Several of my more-common destinations are about 400 miles round trip. I try to fill up with E-0 when starting those trips because I'm certain to be able to get back home without stopping for gas. With E-10, it's borderline.

Rich

Ethanol has a lot less energy than gasoline, so costs more, doesn't go as far, hmmm.

Edit: About 33% less energy in ethanol.

Good advice. Both of the places I go regularly have separate hoses, and that is specifically why I go there!

Filled up with 90-Octane E-0 at Marabito today and immediately drove home. Distance is 27.4 miles, rural highway, over the top of a mountain and down the other side. Starting elevation 1,371 ft. Ending elevation 1,451 ft. This was the MPG for the trip.

mpg-050320.jpg

The car is EPA rated for 30 highway.

The Mirabito 90-octane E-0 is actually the most economical for me. There's only a $0.20 / gallon difference in price between 87-Octane E-10 and 90-Octane E-0 right now. Unfortunately, I can't use it in the Rotax engines, which want 91-Octane minimum. But it's fine for the car and power equipment.

Rich

My generator will never back feed the grid. Most of the power outages we have here are of the errant squirrel blowing up on a line tripping an circuit breaker at the transfer station a couple miles from my house. Everyone is still connected to the grid as is their appliances, so yes, there is still quite a bit of potential load on that grid. But that's neither here nor there, it's stupid to not properly connect a generator to your house. Doesn't stop thousands of people from doing though.

Yeah, but you can't fix stupid. I've worked on a lot of high voltage equipment over the years; seen a few arc flashes. #1 rule: Never trust anyone.

I need the model of the airplane in this discussion, pwittie-pwease?
I want one!

I need the model of the airplane in this discussion, pwittie-pwease?
I want one!

:rolleyes:

"Technical Corner
Having a technical issue not directly related to the site? Post in this forum and be assured that computer geeks everywhere (well, at least those that visit these forums) will see your problem and try to help!"

We're even allowed to discuss bicycles here... #aopa

Last edited:
No line work. But enough residential. Enough to know to check that a circuit is dead before working on it.

:rolleyes:

"Technical Corner
Having a technical issue not directly related to the site? Post in this forum and be assured that computer geeks everywhere (well, at least those that visit these forums) will see your problem and try to help!"

We're even allowed to discuss bicycles here... #aopa

I wonder how Anthony is doing.

Rich

Back