Question on FAR/AIM for Oral

I have a Gleim 2014 FAR/AIM. I have meticulously tabbed and highlighted it, and now it's 2015. Is this a deal breaker for my Oral?

There is no requirement for you to tab anything in the FAR/Aim. The examiner expects you to know the applicable regulations. Your tabs are for your own study.

There is no requirement for you to tab anything in the FAR/Aim. The examiner expects you to know the applicable regulations. Your tabs are for your own study.

There is also no requirment to wear a shirt or deodorant to a checkride, common sense tells us it's a good idea though :wink2:

Tabs are so you can quickly look up something.

There are things like wx, airspace, speeds, etc you need to know cold

There are other things you should just look up.

VFR equipment for night flight, I've never told a student to memorize that dumb thing, honestly it's a waste of time, I tells them to whip out the FAR, grab the tab and start a read aloud session with the DPE.

When do you need to report to NTSB? Same deal, you can bet if someone had a hard landing I'd tell them to reference their FAR before getting ahold of the NTSB.

That's downright a waste of time.

Well, I did say (watch this)

The ratty dog eared book is the BACK UP.
Of course, the corrections are right from your most favorite mobile device which is also linked to most every other aspect of today's flying platform.

I still like a paper backup like I still like staying proficient at magnetic compass turns and using a paper map.

There is also no requirment to wear a shirt or deodorant to a checkride, common sense tells us it's a good idea though :wink2:

Tabs are so you can quickly look up something.

There are things like wx, airspace, speeds, etc you need to know cold

There are other things you should just look up.

VFR equipment for night flight, I've never told a student to memorize that dumb thing, honestly it's a waste of time, I tells them to whip out the FAR, grab the tab and start a read aloud session with the DPE.

When do you need to report to NTSB? Same deal, you can bet if someone had a hard landing I'd tell them to reference their FAR before getting ahold of the NTSB.

Maybe you should learn how to use the index in the back of the AIM. It takes less than 30 seconds to find accidents and the NTSB sections.

Last edited:
Dont be a dip****, buy a new FAR/AIM.

Buy a new FAR/AIM. If you are serious about aviation then keeping current charts etc. is part of the deal.

You've replied twice, both after I said, "Amazon Prime for the win. Re-tabbing and highlighting will undoubtedly help my knowledge absorption."

This place can be welcoming, I'll say that.

You've replied twice, both after I said, "Amazon Prime for the win. Re-tabbing and highlighting will undoubtedly help my knowledge absorption."

This place can be welcoming, I'll say that.

Dean, you will find most of the posters here to be very helpful. However, just like all forums, you will have those that hit post before they read, or misinterpret something, you will even have the occasional @$$hat. They will be few, but loud, just ignore them. Have you had your checkride yet?

Thanks. Negative on the checkride, my instructor got a new job (then the usual scheduling delays happened). I'm looking to finish in the next 2-3 weeks.

Dont be a dip****, buy a new FAR/AIM.

Speaking of being a dip****, this thread was months old. Raising the dead.

Dean - You're right. I actually registered long before I became active. I registered, maybe made a post or two, realized a lot of people here enjoy being dicks, and left for a bit. I would come back on occasion to search through the old stuff for my answers vs posting a question. Eventually I just started ignoring most everyone who decided to reply with ******* answers vs contributing.

When you post a thread here, regardless of topic, you can almost always count on the following replies:

1) what your doing is or should be illegal
2) What your doing may serve a purpose but my way is better and therefore you are dumb
3) Why are you doing it that way when it could be done this way
4) I always do this instead of that
5) Irrelevant post
6) contribution.

In no set order or quantity, but regardless of topic, most of them appear in a lot of threads.

I also found a lot of the attitude left once I had my cert.

Anyone here use the ASA ipad app for FAR/AIM? I'm thinking about buying that app for $10 (comes with lifetime updates) instead of the paper copy (which gets outdated quickly). I assume that's ok checkride-wise?

I have it and had no issues with it on my checkride. I was actually told the only thing I could use the book for was the minimum equipment list. No looking up answers. Then again, my first DPE who administered the oral was a bit of a dick to me. "I'm not sure let me look that up" got the response of "No. this isnt an open book test, if you dont know it, you dont know it, dont know enough and you fail"

I have it and had no issues with it on my checkride. I was actually told the only thing I could use the book for was the minimum equipment list. No looking up answers. Then again, my first DPE who administered the oral was a bit of a dick to me. "I'm not sure let me look that up" got the response of "No. this isnt an open book test, if you dont know it, you dont know it, dont know enough and you fail"

Wow, that's pretty dickish. But you passed ok? I'm still a ways from doing my check-ride, but do you have a choice of DPE? Or just whoever gets assigned to you?

I passed the oral, i knew there was no way I could ever pass the checkride based on that, but I tried. Busted, and picked a new DPE. You can go to whoever you want, but your CFI usually will know who is best for you to go to

Speaking of being a dip****, this thread was months old. Raising the dead.

Dean - You're right. I actually registered long before I became active. I registered, maybe made a post or two, realized a lot of people here enjoy being dicks, and left for a bit. I would come back on occasion to search through the old stuff for my answers vs posting a question. Eventually I just started ignoring most everyone who decided to reply with ******* answers vs contributing.

When you post a thread here, regardless of topic, you can almost always count on the following replies:

1) what your doing is or should be illegal
2) What your doing may serve a purpose but my way is better and therefore you are dumb
3) Why are you doing it that way when it could be done this way
4) I always do this instead of that
5) Irrelevant post
6) contribution.

In no set order or quantity, but regardless of topic, most of them appear in a lot of threads.

I also found a lot of the attitude left once I had my cert.

I wasnt being a smartass, I was simply saying that as a pilot if you find keepig up to date with current pubs irrelevant, then stay on the ground. That is only my opinion of course. If you think showing up to a practical test with an out dated FAR/Aim is acceptable, I guess we disagree. Im all for electronic pubs but for a checkride I find it appropriate to have a hard copy.

I also found that alot of things changed when I got my certs.

Again not trying to be a dick, just throwin my two sense out there.

I wasnt being a smartass, I was simply saying that as a pilot if you find keepig up to date with current pubs irrelevant, then stay on the ground. That is only my opinion of course. If you think showing up to a practical test with an out dated FAR/Aim is acceptable, I guess we disagree. Im all for electronic pubs but for a checkride I find it appropriate to have a hard copy.

I also found that alot of things changed when I got my certs.

Again not trying to be a dick, just throwin my two sense out there.

I dont think bringing outdated pubs is okay. I was highlighting the fact that you drug up a 3 month old dead post that you already answered 3 months ago to post "dont be a dip****".

Comparable to me searching the maintenance bay for someone asking questions about an annual, finding a 4 year old thread and telling the person that they are an idiot and its been so long they are out of annual

Back