Question on counseling

P

poa flyer

I have read the regulations, but I wanted to ask here, so get some clarity on this.

I am considering getting some counseling. I am doing this mostly because I am interested in understanding some elements of myself that I would like to improve. Also, I've always loved reading Jung, Maslow, and others.

My question here is this: If I do this, how would it affect my medical? Would it prevent me from being able to fly?

Thanks for your help, in advance!

Good question! Like you my father was very interested in reading the psychology masters. For introspective and intelligent people to undergo counseling or even full on Freudian psychoanalysis simply for the adventure of exploring their own minds I think used to be an entertaining pasttime and not necessarily associated with any mental abnormality. Nowadays, unfortunately, insurance payments require a disorder code. Therein lies the trap. I would say if you wish to avoid that trap, pay cash and don't give the therapist your insurance info. If you want your insurance to pay for the sessions then you are either going to be labeled with a disorder you'll have to explain to the FAA, or you will be committing insurance fraud - i.e.: you claimed a disorder you didn't have - and still have to explain it to the FAA.

I think the exception is marriage counseling, the FAA allows that. Also temporary adjustment disorders when you have a stressful life event such as death in the family, but I'm not an AME so don't take my word for it.

counseling ... My question here is this: If I do this, how would it affect my medical? Would it prevent me from being able to fly?

it is to be reported. if it is as simple as you portray ... no problems but FAA will want the mental health provider's notes.

it is to be reported. if it is as simple as you portray ... no problems but FAA will want the mental health provider's notes.
OP here. I am getting this off the faa website:

"The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition."

Sounds like I wouldn't need to report.

Can you pay cash and not give your real name?

Based on the current stigma in the US on these matters, I'd ether try talking to a "church" type about it, or pay cash to see a shrink.

Perhaps in 50 years, but in the current climate in the US and how everything end up in a database, F' that noise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back